March 15, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The University of Wyoming tennis team fell by the final of 4-0 against the 65th ranked Texas Tech Lady Raiders, on Wednesday afternoon, in Hawaii. Only singles matches were played because of the rainy conditions on the island.
"I thought we put forth a very nice effort today as a team," said head coach Krissy Hall. "The conditions were extremely difficult and Texas Tech is a very good team. We need to take some things from this match and prepare for Washington State tomorrow."
At the number one position, Karolina Rowinski lost to Tara Browning in two sets, 6-0, 6-1. Freshman Jamie Nelson fell in three sets, 6-0, 3-6, 6-1, against her opponent Janet Durham. Lakann Wagley defeated Andrea House, 6-2, 6-3, and Sam VanderDrift won, 6-2, 6-2, over Amy Senko. UW senior Patricia Chien was leading in her match, 6-2, 5-4, against Cigdem Duru, but did not finish, while Cowgirl Michelle Brown was behind, 6-2, 5-2 (15-30) against Sophie Fankam at the sixth position.
The Cowgirls will continue play tomorrow against the Washington State Cougars. They will wrap up the week on Friday against the University of Hawaii.
Texas Tech 4 Wyoming 0
1. Tara Browning (TTU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-0, 6-1
2. Patricia Chien (WY) leading Cigdem Duru (TTU), 6-2, 5-4 DNF
3. Janet Durham (TTU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Lakann Wagley (TTU) def. Andrea House (WY), 6-2, 6-3
5. Sam VanderDrift (TTU) def. Amy Senko (WY), 6-2, 6-2
6. Sophie Fankam (TTU) was leading Michelle Brown (WY), 6-2, 5-2 (15-30) DNF
Did not play doubles due to the rain