March 15, 2011
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team (8-3 overall) opened up their week with a 6-1 win over the University of Massachusetts (8-7 overall) on Tuesday morning in Delray Beach, Fla.
"We got ahead early in the most of the matches and did a good job closing them out," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "We look to end the non-conference season on a high note so we can shift our focus to the Mountain West."
The Cowgirls won two out of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the day. Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel defeated Candynce Boney and Tanisha Hodsgon, 8-1, while Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs won over Yuliana Motyl and Chantal Swiszcz, 8-5. Veroncia Popovici and Carly Van Hollen had their five match winning streak broken by Kaitlyn Carpenter and Jessica Podlofsky, 8-6.
Wyoming would earn wins at five of six positions in singles action. Sophomore Alexandra Kovacs defeated Yuliana Motyl, 6-1, 6-3, while Veronica Popovici earned a straight set win, 6-0, 6-0, against Candynce Boney. At the number four spot, Kim van Ginkel won in her match, 6-4, 7-5, against Jessica Podlofsky. The Cowgirls closed it out with Rebecca Berger recording a 6-1, 6-2 win over Kaitlyn Carpenter and Carly Van Hollen defeating Chantal Swiszcz, 6-4, 6-2.
Wyoming will play their final match of the week tomorrow as they take on Florida Atlantic Owls in Boca Raton, Fla.
Wyoming 6, Massachusetts 1
1. Synkova/van Ginkel (WY) def. Boney/Tanisha Hodgson (UMass) 8-1
2. Berger/Kovacs (WY) def. Motyl/Swiszcz (UMass) 8-5
3. Carpenter/Podlofsky (UMass) def. Van Hollen-Popovici (WY) 8-6
1. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Yuliana Motyl (UMass) 6-1, 6-3
2. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Candynce Boney (UMass) 6-0, 6-0
3. Julia Comas (UMass) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 3-6, 7-6, 10-7
4. Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. Jessica Podlofsky (UMass) 6-4, 7-5
5. Rebecca Berger (WY) def. Kaitlyn Carpenter (UMass) 6-1, 6-2
6. Carly Van Hollen (WY) def. Chantal Swiszcz (UMass) 6-4, 6-2