March 16, 2011
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team (9-3 overall) wrapped up the week with a 7-0 win over the Florida Atlantic Owls (7-10 overall) on Wednesday morning in Boca Raton, Fla.
"This victory was a very good team effort," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "We did a great job not letting Florida Atlantic get into any of the matches."
Wyoming started off the day on a strong note as they won all three doubles matches to earn the first point of the day. Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel defeated Erika Mrazkova and Natasha Basma, 8-2, while Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs won over Justine Humair and Marlene Ryan, 8-2. Veronica Popovici and Carly Van Hollen got back on track with an 8-2 win against Cassie Bergeson and Natasha Phillips, 8-2.
The Cowgirls were equally as dominate in singles play as they earned victories at all six spots. Freshman Veronica Popovici won over Justine Humair, 6-0, 6-3, while Alexandra Kovacs defeated her opponent, Marlene Ryan, 6-2, 6-0. At the third position, Simona Synkova came back from a loss yesterday with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Natasha Basma. Kim van Ginkel went 2-0 in singles action for the week as she won, 6-2, 6-0, against Cassie Bergeson. UW wrapped things up with a Rebecca Berger, 6-2, 6-1, win over Virginia Augustin, and Sasa Nemcova recording a 6-0, 6-1 victory against Natasha Phillips.
Wyoming will play one final non-conference match before opening up MWC play. They will host the Weber State Wildcats on Sunday, March 27. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. in Laramie
Wyoming 7, Florida Atlantic 0
1. Synkova/van Ginkel (WY) def. Erika Mrazkova/Basma (FAU) 8-2
2. Berger/Kovacs (WY) def. Ryan/Humair (FAU) 8-2
3. Van Hollen/Popovici (WY) def. Bergeson/Phillips (FAU) 8-2
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Justine Humair (FAU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Marlene Ryan (FAU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Natasha Basma (FAU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. Cassie Bergeson (FAU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Rebecca Berger (WY) def. Virginia Augustin (FAU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Natasha Phillips (FAU) 6-0, 6-1