FULLERTON, Calif. -
The Wyoming women's tennis team (7-8 overall) opened up the week with a 6-1 loss against the Cal State Fullerton Titans (13-2 overall) on Wednesday afternoon.
In doubles play, the Titans won two out of three contests to go up 1-0 in the match. The number one team of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva fell to Camille De Leon and Alexis Valenzuela, while Masako Makiba and Karla Portalatin won the point with a 6-3 victory over Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert.
CSF would win five of six singles matches on its way to the victory. De Leon won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1, against Tessa van Der Ploeg. Valenzuela defeated Stencel, 6-2, 6-2, followed by Danielle Pham over Talbert, 6-2, 6-2. Portalatin earned a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Jonas while Elisa Koonik was the only Cowgirl to come away with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Makiba. In the final match of the day, Sarah Nuno beat Tokareva, 7-6 (2-0), 7-5.
Wyoming will be back in action on Thursday against the Long Beach State 49ers. The match is set for 3 p.m. MT in Long Beach.
Cal State Fullerton 6, Wyoming 1
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY) 6-2, 6-2
2. Sarah Nuno (CSF) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY) 7-6 (2-0), 7-5
3. Karla Portalatin (CSF) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-3, 6-4
4. Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-0, 6-1
5. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Masako Makiba (CSF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Danielle Pham (CSF) def. Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-2, 6-2
1. Camille De Leon/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-3
2. Masako Makiba/Karla Portalatin (CSF) def. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-3
3. Sarah Nuno/Danielle Pham (CSF) vs. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 4-5, unfinished
Wyoming Cowgirls 7-8
Cal State Fullerton 13-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,1,6,3,5,2)