March 17, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The University of Wyoming tennis team fell by the final of 6-1 against the 73rd ranked Washington State Cougars, on Thursday afternoon, in Hawaii.
The lone Cowgirl to win in singles play was Andrea House as she defeated Marjolein van de Ven, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 11-9. At the number one position, Karolina Rowinski lost to Ekaterina Burduli, 7-5, 6-2. Senior Patricia Chien was defeated by Amy Toth, 6-2, 6-2, while freshman Jamie Nelson fell in two sets, 6-3, 6-0, against her opponent Alex Ceckic. Alex Stefanova defeated Amy Senko, 6-2, 6-2, as did Maria Ring, 6-0, 3-6, 6-0, over Michelle Brown.
In doubles play, the Cougars won two out of three matches to take the point. At the number two position, the Wyoming team of Corina Lazar and Senko earned an 8-5 win over Ekaterina Burduli and Bianca Selaru for the lone doubles win for the Cowgirls.
The Cowgirls will wrap up the week on Friday against the University of Hawaii.
Washington State 6 Wyoming 1
1. Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 7-5, 6-2
2. Amy Toth (WSU) def. Patricia Chien (WY) 6-2, 6-2
3. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-3, 6-0
4. Andrea House (WY) def. Marjolein van de Ven (WSU), 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 11-9
5. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) def. Amy Senko (WY), 6-2, 6-2
6. Maria Ring (WSU) def. Michelle Brown (WY), 6-0, 3-6, 6-0
1. Ring/Toft (WSU) def. House/Rowinski (WY), 8-2
2. Lazar/Senko (WY) def. Burduli/Selaru (WSU), 8-5
3. Cekic/Stefanova (WSU) def. Chien/Nelson (WY), 8-2