March 18, 2003
Honolulu, Hawai'i (March 17, 2003) --The Wyoming Cowgirl women's tennis team was shut out by the Sacramento State Hornets, 7-0, in their second match of tournament play on Monday morning. With the win, the Hornets improved to 7-2 on the season, while the Cowgirls dropped to 7-4.
Sacramento State grabbed the doubles point as all three Hornet duos came away with victories. In the No. 1 spot, Margarita Karnaukhova and Ann Roslund defeated Jennifer Hancock and Yuliani Santi, 8-1. Roberta Fessenko and Amanda Sanches defeated Patricia Chien and Kati Gyulai, 8-6, and Petra Abraham and Cristina Rivieccio defeated Gwen Moser and Megan Williams, 8-2, to wrap up the Hornet sweep.
Singles play was also dominated by Sacramento State led by freshman Karnaukhova in the No. 1 slot with her victory over Chien, 6-2, 6-1. Yuliani Santi dropped her match against Ann Roslund, 6-2, 6-1. Roberta Fessenko defeated Gyulai, 6-0, 6-0 and Petra Abraham defeated Jen Hancock, 6-0, 6-2. The Hornets closed out singles play with sophomore Amanda Sanches defeated Megan Williams, 6-2, 3-6 (10-2), and Cristina Rivieccio defeated Gwen Moser, 6-1, 6-0.
The Cowgirls will continue tournament play today against West Virginia and then will wrap up play tomorrow against Hawai'i before returning home.
Sacramento State 7, Wyoming 0
1. Margarita Karnaukhova (SAC) def. Patricia Chien (WY) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ann Roslund (SAC) def. Yuliani Santi (WY) 6-2, 6-1
3. Roberta Fessenko (SAC) def. Kati Gyulai (WY) 6-0, 6-0
4. Petra Abraham (SAC) def.Jennifer Hancock (WY) 6-0, 6-2
5. Amanda Sanches (SAC) def. Megan Williams (WY) 6-2, 3-6 (10-2)
6. Cristina Rivieccio (SAC) def. Gwen Moser (WY) 6-1, 6-0
1. Karnaukhova/Roslund (SAC) def. Hancock/Santi (WY) 8-1
2. Fessenko/Sanches (SAC) def. Chien/Gyulai (WY) 8-6
3. Abraham/Rivieccio (SAC) def. Williams/Moser (WY) 8-2