March 17, 2009
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team opened up a four-match stretch with a 1-1 split, on Tuesday, in Honolulu. They earned a 6-1 victory against the Chaminade Silverswords, but fell 5-2 against the ranked Washington State Cougars. The Cowgirls are now 5-6 overall and 1-0 in Mountain West Conference play.
Washington State took the first two matches of doubles play to begin the day. Aleksandra Cekic and Ekaterina Kamendova defeated Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen, 9-7. At the number two spot, Rebecca Berger and Jamie Nelson fell to Elisabeth Fournier and Jessica Gomez, 9-5.
In singles play, it started off well for the Cowgirls with Summerfield earning a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Kamendova, while Nelson was the only other player to win her match against Gomez, 6-2, 6-3. Unfortunately, they had a tough time at the two, three and four spots. Berger battled to a three set loss, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0, against Cekic. Van Hollen had her eight match winning streak broken against Fournier, 6-3, 6-4, while the Cougars wrapped things up with Marina Nicolas earning a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Carolina Chaix.
Wyoming would rebound in their second match of the day with a 6-0 victory over Chaminade. It began with the Cowgirls winning the doubles point. Summerfield and Van Hollen defeated Audra Takara and Tiffany DeVincent, 8-5, at the number one spot. Berger and Nelson also responded with an 8-3 win over Stacey Chaussoy and Natalie Phanphengdy.
The Cowgirls would sweep the singles matches on their way to the win. At the number one position, Summerfield defeated Takara, 6-0, 6-2, as did Berger over DeVincent, 6-1, 6-3. Van Hollen won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, over Phanphengdy, while Nelson earned a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Silkie Kawahakui. Chaix closed out things at the number five position, 6-2, 6-2, against Chaussoy.
The Cowgirls will play again tomorrow against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors beginning at 2 p.m.
Washington State 5, Wyoming 2
1. Cekic/Kamendova (WSU) def. Summerfield/Van Hollen (UW) 9-7
2. Gomez/Fournier (WSU) def. Nelson/Berger (UW) 8-5
3. Selaru/Nicolas (WSU) wins by default
1. Sarah Summerfield (UW) def. Ekaterina Kamendova (WSU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) def. Rebecca Berger (UW) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
3. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Carly Van Hollen (UW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Marina Nicolas (WSU) def. Carolina Chaix (UW) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Jamie Nelson (UW) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Livia Gherman (WSU) wins by default
Wyoming 6, Chaminade 1
1. Summerfield/Van Hollen (UW) def Takara-DeVincent (Cham) 8-5
2. Berger/Nelson (UW) def Chaussoy-Phanphengdy (Cham) 8-3
3. Kawahakui/Iwado (Cham) by default
1. Sarah Summerfield (UW) def. Audra Takara (Cham) 6-0, 6-2
2. Rebecca Berger (UW) def. Tiffany DeVincent (Cham) 6-1, 6-3
3. Carly Van Hollen (UW) def Natalie Phanphengdy (Cham) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jamie Nelson (UW) def. Silkie Kawahakui (Cham) 6-4, 6-2
5. Carolina Chaix (UW) def. Stacey Chaussoy (Cham) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kiana Iwado (Cham) by default