March 18, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The University of Wyoming tennis team ended their road trip on a good note as they defeated the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine, 4-3, on Friday in Hawaii.
In doubles play, the Rainbow Wahine swept all three matches to win the point. The team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski lost to Katayama and Sandborn, 8-6, as did Corina Lazar and Amy Senko against Aikawa and Williams. Patricia Chien and Jamie Nelson lost in a tough 9-7 match against Bihag and Wasko.
It would take Cowgirl victories in four out of six singles matches in order to win the match. At the number one spot, Karolina Rowinski won her match in three sets, 6-0, 1-6, 6-3, over Kana Aikawa. Patricia Chien earned a 6-2, 7-6 (6) win over Chloe Bihag. Andrea House defeated Jacqui Williams, 6-1, 6-2, and Michelle Brown won at the number six spot 6-3, 6-4 over Florence Wasko.
The Cowgirls will resume Mountain West Conference play next weekend as they take on the TCU Lady Frogs and New Mexico Lobos in Ft. Worth, Texas.
Wyoming 4 Hawaii 3
1. Karolina Rowinski (WYO) def. Kana Aikawa, 6-0, 1-6, 6-3
2. Patricia Chien (WYO) def. Chloe Bihag, 6-2, 7-6 (6)
3. Erin Katayama def. Jamie Nelson (WYO), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Andrea House (WYO) def. Jacqui Williams, 6-1, 6-2
5. Samanta Cappella def. Amy Senko (WYO), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Michelle Brown (WYO) def. Florence Wasko, 6-3, 6-4
Doubles (must win 2 of 3 for one team point)
1. Katayama/Sandborn def. House/Rowinski (WYO), 8-6
2. Aikawa/Williams def. Senko/Corina Lazar (WYO), 8-6
3. Bihag/Wasko def. Chien/Nelson (WYO), 9-7