March 19, 2014
LONG BEACH, Calif. -
The Wyoming tennis team opened up a three-match road trip with a 5-2 loss against the Long Beach State 49ers, on Wednesday, in Long Beach.
"We played good tennis today, but just didn't execute in some key areas," said head coach Dean Clower. "Overall, we put into play a lot of things we have been working on. If we continue to do things like we did today we will be ready for conference. We will go over a few areas tonight and be ready for another battle tomorrow."
The 49ers went ahead early by winning two of three doubles matches to take the point. The only Cowgirl team to come away with a win was Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva who defeated Julie Gerard and Karolina Rozenberg, 8-6. Veronica Popovici and Jessica Parizher fell to Ebba Unden and Laura Eales, 8-4, while Dorottya Jonas and Alena Vasileva lost against Holly Reid and Hayley Thompson, 8-2.
In singles action, Long Beach State took four of six matches on the day. Popovici won the first point for the Cowgirls defeating Unden, 6-3, 7-5. The only other player to win a point on the day was Vasileva with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Reid. Maeva Razakasoa defeated Parizher at the number two position, 6-2, 6-2, while Jones fell to Gerard, 7-5, 6-4. In the final two matches, Rozenberg beat Gecheva, 6-2, 6-2, while Thompson pulled out a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Silviya Zhelyazkova.
The Cowgirls will resume play on Thursday, March 20, against the Cal State Fullerton Titans. The match is set for 2:30 p.m. MT.
Wyoming vs Long Beach State
Mar 19, 2014 at Long Beach, Calif.
(Rhodes Tennis Center)
Long Beach State 5, Wyoming 2
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Jessica Parizher (WYO) 6-2, 6-2
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WYO) 7-5, 6-4
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Christa Gecheva (WYO) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
6. Alena Vasileva (WYO) def. Holly Reid (LBSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Ebba Unden/Laura Eales (LBSU) def. Veronica Popovici/Jessica Parizher (WYO) 8-4
2. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WYO) def. Julie Gerard/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) 8-6
3. Holly Reid/Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Dorottya Jonas/Alena Vasileva (WYO) 8-2