March 20, 2008
MORAGA, Calif. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (9-5 overall, 1-0 in the MWC) had a tough day on Thursday with a 7-0 loss against the Saint Mary's Gaels. The Gaels are ranked among the Top 50 schools in the country.
"I don't feel that we played poorly today," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "They are just a very good team and a good opponent for us to face. Hopefully, we can close out strong in our match on Saturday."
Saint Mary's started off strong as they took all three doubles-matches to win the team point. It started with the number one team of Jessica Hoath and Nienke Strijbis as they earned a 9-7 victory over Wyoming's Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar, as did Marah Calvo and Stef Ordoveza against Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen. UW's Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson had a tough 8-0 loss against Claire Soper and Alex Poorta.
The Gaels also had a good run in singles as they won all six matches. Lazar fell in two sets, 6-2, 6-1, against Hoath, while Berger lost to Poorta, 6-3, 6-1. At the number three position, Van Hollen fell in two sets, 6-0, 6-1, against Soper, as did Brown against Calvo, 6-0, 6-1. Sarah Summerfield and DeFelice each fell in two sets as well, 6-1, 6-0, and 6-3, 6-3, against their opponents.
Wyoming will close out the weekend on Saturday, March 22, against the Santa Clara Broncos. The match is set to begin at 11:00 a.m. Mountain Time.
Saint Mary's 7 Wyoming 0
1. Jessica Hoath (SMC) def. Corina Lazar (WY), 6-2, 6-1
2. Alex Poorta (SMC) def. Rebecca Berger (WY), 6-3, 6-1
3. Claire Soper (SMC) def. Carly Van Hollen (WY), 6-0, 6-1
4. Marah Calvo (SMC) def. Michelle Brown (WY), 6-0, 6-1
5. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) def. Sarah Summerfield (WY), 6-1, 6-0
6. Erin Young (SMC) def. Brittany DeFelice (WY), 6-3, 6-3
1. Hoath/Nienke Strijbis (SMC) def. Berger/Lazar (WY), 9-7
2. Calvo/Ordoveza (SMC) def. Brown/Van Hollen (WY), 9-7
3. Soper/Poorta (SMC) def. DeFelice / Jamie Nelson (WY), 8-0