March 23, 2007
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (5-8 overall) competed in Las Vegas today against the nationally ranked UNLV Lady Rebels, losing 6-1.
In doubles play, the Rebels jumped out early as they won all three matches to take the team doubles point. The number one UW team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski fell 8-3 against Elena Gantcheva and Kristina Nedeltcheva, while Nikol Dimitrova and Linda Tempelfelde defeated Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Michelle Brown, 8-7. In the third and final match of doubles play, UNLV's Alisa Razina and Claire Smith defeated Jamie Nelson and Sarah Summerfield, 8-4.
Wyoming would have to mount a comeback in singles, but they would fall short winning only one match at the number three spot. Lazar was the lone Cowgirl to record a win as she defeated Dimitrova 7-6, 3-6, 1-0. The Rebels jumped out to a 2-0 lead before Lazar scored the Cowgirls' first point of the day. At number four singles, the Rebels' Smith defeated House in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, while Tempelfelde also won in straight sets, defeating Brown, 6-1, 6-2. At the number six spot, UNLV's Razina defeated UW's Nelson, 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7). Summerfield fell, 6-0, 6-0, to Gantcheva, as did Rowinski against Nedeltcheva, 6-4, 6-3 in the number one and two spots respectively.
Wyoming will resume MWC play tomorrow as they take on San Diego State in Las Vegas at 10 a.m. MST.
UNLV 6 Wyoming 1
SINGLES: (UNLV EARNS FIVE TEAM POINTS)
1. Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) def. Sarah Summerfield (WYO) 6-0, 6-0
2. Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Karolina Rowinski (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
3. Corina Lazar (WYO) def. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Claire Smith (UNLV) def. Andrea House (WYO) 6-2, 6-0
5. Linda Tempelfelde (UNLV) def. Michelle Brown (WYO) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alisa Razina (UNLV) def. Jamie Nelson (WYO) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
DOUBLES: (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
1. #35 Gantcheva/Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. House/Rowinski (WYO) 8-3
2. Dimitrova/Tempelfelde (UNLV) def. Lazar/Brown (WYO) 8-7
3. Razina/Smith (UNLV) def. Nelson/Summerfield (WYO) 8-4