March 22, 2008
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (10-5 overall, 1-0 in the MWC) closed out their three-match road trip with a 5-2 victory against the Santa Clara Broncos, on Saturday afternoon.
"I was happy with the way we played today and over the non-conference season," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "We should have a lot of confidence heading into Mountain West Conference play."
Wyoming won the doubles point by taking two of three matches. It started with the number one UW team of Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar earning a 8-0 victory over Myra Davoudi and Stephanie Galainena. Cowgirls Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson also earned an 8-6 victory over Ashley Pane and Courtney Hull. Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen fell short 8-4 against Lindsay McBride and Carmen Pham.
Wyoming would win matches at the one, two, four and six singles positions in order to secure the team victory. Lazar earned a two set win, 6-3, 7-6 (5), win over Galainena, while Berger defeated McBride, 6-2, 6-1. Brown also earned a straight set win, 6-2, 7-5, over Pham. It was DeFelice who closed things out with a 6-3, 6-3, win over Hull.
Wyoming will resume Mountain West Conference play next week against New Mexico and TCU.
Wyoming 5 Santa Clara 2
1. Corina Lazar (UW) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2. Rebecca Berger (UW) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Myra Davoudi (SCU) def. Carly Van Hollen (UW), 7-6(0), 6-0
4. Michelle Brown (UW) def. Carmen Pham (SCU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Ashley Pane (SCU) def. Sarah Summerfield (UW), 6-4, 6-2
6. Brittany DeFelice (UW) def. Courtney Hull (SCU), 6-3, 6-3
1. Lazar/Berger (UW) def. Davoudi/Galainena (SCU), 8-0
2. McBride/Pham (SCU) def. Brown/Van Hollen (UW), 8-4
3. Nelson/DeFelice (UW) def. Pane/Hull (SCU), 8-6