March 26, 2002
LARAMIE, Wyo. - The University of Wyomingwomen's tennis team opened a four-match West Coast roadswing with a 7-0 loss to Cal State Northridge in Fullerton,Calif. today.
The sophomore duo of Cowgirls Jenny Bowman and Jen Hancockcontinued their hot play in number-one doubles, winning forthe seventh time in their last eight outings with an 8-4defeat of Matadors Tereza Simonyan and Stephanie Chu. Withthe win Bowman and Hancock improved their doubles record to12-4 on the season.
Cal State Northridge rebounded for wins in number-two andnumber-three doubles play to take a 1-0 lead before winningall six singles matches to seal the 7-0 victory.
Bowman's six-match winning streak was snapped with a 7-5,6-2 loss to Simonyan in number-one singles, only her fourthdefeat against 14 wins this year.
The Cowgirls (4-7) take on Cal State Fullerton Wednesday at10 a.m. MST before traveling to San Diego later this weekfor matches versus San Diego State and UNLV.
Complete Match Results:
1. Tereza Simonyan (CSN) def. Jenny Bowman (WYO) 7-5, 6-2
2. Rani Setlawati (CSN) def. Yuliani Santi (WYO) 6-3, 6-3
3. Kendra Segura (CSN) def. Jennifer Hancock (WYO) 6-3, 6-5
4. Stephanie Chu (CSN) def. Paulina del Monte (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
5. Veronika Wagner (CSN) def. Toni Terhaar (WYO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Brittany Bierman (CSN) def. Kati Gyulai (WYO) 6-3, 6-1
1. Bowman/Hancock (WYO) def. Simonyan/Chu (CSN) 8-4
2. Setlawat/Wagner (CSN) def. Santi/del Monte (WYO) 8-6
3. Wagner/Bierman (CSN) def. Terhaar/Gyulai (WYO) 8-2