BOISE, Idaho -
Redshirt freshman Magdalena Stencel helped the Wyoming women's tennis team (10-5, 2-0 MW) to a 4-3 victory over the Boise State Broncos (7-10, 1-2 MW) on Sunday morning. The Cowgirls have won five straight matches and two straight in conference action. With the victory, head coach Dean Clower now has 45 career wins at Wyoming which ties for first all-time in school history.
"This was a great weekend for Cowgirl tennis," head coach Dean Clower said. "Boise State is a well-coached team and to sneak out a win on the road is no small task. We have been working towards this for most of the spring and it paid off. Once again, we played solid doubles and had players stepping up in singles. The beauty of this team is we can win at any line on any given day. The players will get a well-deserved day off and begin preparing for our homestand in two weeks."
Wyoming began the day with two victories in doubles action to go up 1-0. Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva defeated Sammie Watson and Bobbi Oshiro followed by a 6-4 win by Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova against Megan LaLone and Arianna Paules Aldrey. Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel were up 6-5 over Teal Vosburgh and Milena Toseva, 6-5, but did not finish the match.
Watson earned the Broncos first point of the day as she defeated Zhelyazkova, 6-2, 6-2. Nastya Tokareva won her match, 6-3, 6-4, as did Gecheva, 6-4, 6-3, against Nancy Menjivar to put the Cowgirls back up 3-1. Paules Aldrey defeated Jonas, 6-4, 6-4 at the number three spot followed by Oshiro in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, over Parizher to even up the match at three all. It would come down to the final match of the day at the number one spot. Stencel won the first set 6-0 while Vosburgh took the second 6-4. After falling behind 5-3 in the third, Stencel rallied back and won the final four games to take the set, 7-5 and the match.
Wyoming will return to action on Friday, April 10 as it hosts the New Mexico Lobos. The match is set for 3 p.m. MT at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
Wyoming (10-5) at Boise State (7-10)
March 29, 2015 | Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
1. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Sammie Watson/Bobbi Oshiro (BSU) 6-4
2. Dorottya Jonas/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Megan LaLone/Arianna Paules Aldrey (BSU), 6-4
3. Jessica Parizher/Magdalena Stencel (WY) vs. Teal Vosburgh/Milena Toseva (BSU) 6-5 DNF
Order of finish: 1,2
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Teal Vosburgh (BSU) 6-0, 4-6, 7-5
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Megan LaLone (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Arianna Paules Aldrey (BSU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-4, 6-4
4. Bobbi Oshiro (BSU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY) 6-4, 6-4
5. Sammie Watson (BSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Nancy Menjivar (BSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,2,6,4,3,1