March 30, 2002
LARAMIE, Wyo. - The University of Wyoming Cowgirltennis team closed out their four match road trip with a 7-0 shutout bythe 15th-ranked UNLV Rebels, at the SDSU Tennis Courts Saturday, in SanDiego, Calif.
The Lady Rebels improved to 15-3 overall and 4-1 in the league, whilethe Cowgirls fell to 5-9 and 0-2 in the MWC.
UNLV opened the day by sweeping three doubles and lost no sets in theirsix single-match wins. In singles play, 88th-ranked Gyorgyi Zsiros madeher debut at the No. 1 position and defeated Jenny Bowman 6-4, 7-6. Despite a great effort by Bowman, she now drops to 16-5 overall.
Also winning in straight sets was 71st-ranked Paulina Janus, whodispatched Yuliani Santi 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2. The Lady Rebels also gotpoints from Agnieszka Abram at No. 3, Tracie Chong at No. 4, MarianneBakken at No. 5 and Amy Hadziosmanovic on the sixth court.
The Cowgirls will now return for a three-match homestand next week atthe UW Tennis Complex. They will host conference rivals Utah, on FridayApril 5th, Brigham Young, on Saturday April 6th, and then will close-outthe weekend on Sunday, April 7th against Colorado State.
SINGLES-(UNLV EARNS SIX TEAM POINTS)
1. (88) Gyorgyi Zsiros (UNLV) def. Jenny Bowman (WYO) - 6-4, 7-6
2. (71) Paulina Janus (UNLV) def. Yuliani Santi (WYO) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Agnieszka Abram (UNLV) def. Jennifer Hancock (WYO) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Tracie Chong (UNLV) def. Paulina del Monte (WYO) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Marianne Bakken (UNLV) def. Toni Terhaar (WYO) - 6-2, 6-1
6. Amy Hadziosmanovic (UNLV) def. Kati Gyulai (WYO) - 6-2, 6-4
DOUBLES-(UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
1. Janus/Abram (UNLV) def. Bowman/Hancock (WYO) - 8-3
2. Bakken/Zsiros (UNLV) def. Terhaar/Gyulai (WYO) - 8-1
3. Chong/Hadziosmanovic (UNLV) def. del Monte/Santi (WYO) - 8-3