March 29, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (10-6 overall, 1-1 in the MWC) opened up the weekend with a 6-1 loss against the New Mexico Lobos, on Saturday afternoon, in Ft. Worth.
New Mexico started off strong as they took all three doubles-matches to win the team point. It began with the number one team of Ola Abou-Zekry and Lucy Scott as they earned an 8-2 victory over UW's Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar, as did Jennifer Ryba and Mackenzie White against Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen, 8-1. Wyoming's Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson had a tough 8-3 loss against Emma Hayman and Victoria Tessmar.
The Lobos also had a good run in singles as they won five of six matches. The only player to win a match on the day for UW was DeFelice at the sixth spot as she defeated Tessmar, 6-2, 6-4. Lazar fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-2, against Abou-Zekry, while Berger lost to White, 7-5, 7-6 (6). At the number three position, Van Hollen fell in two sets, 6-3, 6-4, against Scott, as did Brown against Hayman, 6-2, 6-1. Sarah Summerfield closed it out with a 6-4, 6-0 loss against Ryba.
Wyoming will close out the weekend on Sunday, March 30, against the TCU Horned Frogs. The match is set to begin at 9:00 a.m.
New Mexico 6 Wyoming 1
1. Ola Abou-Zekry (UNM) def. Corina Lazar (WYO) 6-1, 6-2
2. Mackenzie White (UNM) def. Rebecca Berger (WYO) 7-5, 7-6 (6)
3. Lucy Scott (UNM) def. Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 6-3, 6-4
4. Emma Hayman (UNM) def. Michelle Brown (WYO) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jennifer Ryba (UNM) def. Sarah Summerfield (WYO) 6-4, 6-0
6. Brittany DeFelice (WYO) def. Victoria Tessmar (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Abou-Zekry/Scott (UNM) def. Berger/Lazar (WYO) 8-2
2. White/Ryba (UNM) def. Brown/Van Hollen (WYO) 8-1
3. Hayman/Tessmar (UNM) def. DeFelice/Jamie Nelson (WYO) 8-3