March 31, 2012
FORT COLLINS, Colo. -
In their only match of the week, the 56th ranked Wyoming Tennis team (10-7 overall, 2-1 MW) earned a 4-3 victory over the Boise State Broncos on Saturday afternoon.
"By no means was this our best tennis today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "I give credit to Boise State for coming out ready to play. I was proud of the way our team rebounded after the doubles loss. We will enjoy the victory tonight, but will then have our eyes set to next weekend's matches."
It was a tough start on the day as Boise State swept all three matches in doubles action. The number one team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova fell to Manuela Pietzuch and Marlena Pietzuch, 8-6. Morgan Basil and Sandy Vo won a tough match, 9-8 (3) over Sasa Nemcova and Alexandra Kovacs. The other doubles team in action Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova lost to Kaitlyn Brown and Sonia Klamczynska, 9-8 (2).
The Cowgirls would need a big comeback in singles play to come away with the win. They would earn wins at the number one, two, five and six spots to do that. Popovici earned a two set win 6-4, 6-2 against Klamczynska followed by Synkova defeating Marlena Pietzuch, 6-3, 6-4. At the number five position, Parizher won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, against Manuela Pietzuch, while Zhelyazkova earned the fourth point with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Brown. In other singles play, Kovacs lost to Vo, 6-4, 6-1, and Nemcova was beat by Basil, 6-4, 7-6 (1).
The Cowgirls will be back in action next Saturday as they host their final two home matches. They will welcome TCU, on Saturday, April 7, and New Mexico, on Sunday, April 8.
#56 Wyoming 4, Boise State 3
1. Manuela Pietzuch/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. No. 45 Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (WYO), 8-6
2. Morgan Basil/Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WYO), 9-8 (3)
3. Kaitlyn Brown/Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova/Jessica Parizher (WYO), 9-8 (2)
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Sonia Klamczynska (BSU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO), 6-4, 6-1
4. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO), 6-4, 7-6 (1)
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Manuela Pietzuch (BSU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Katilyn Brown (BSU), 6-1, 6-2