April 1, 2011
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -
The 68th ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team (10-5 overall, 0-2 in MWC) finished up their week with a 6-1 loss against the 52nd ranked UNLV Lady Rebels (12-4 overall, 1-0 in MWC) on Friday in Las Vegas.
"We got off to a great start by winning the doubles point," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "UNLV came out hot in some of the singles matches and dictated play. This is a conference loss but we still have four weeks to make adjustments."
In doubles action, the Cowgirls earned the first point of the day by taking two of three matches. The team of Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel defeated Aleksandra Josifoska and Nives Pavlovic, 8-6. At the number three spot, Veronica Popovici and Carly Van Hollen helped seal the point with an 8-3 win over Jana Albers and Adrienn Hidvegi.
The Lady Rebels answered back in singles play as they swept all six matches. Freshman Veronica Popovici was defeated by Lucia Batta, 6-1, 6-3, while Alexandra Kovacs fell to Aleksandra Josifoska, 6-0, 6-2. At the number three spot, Nives Pavlovic won in straight sets over Simona Synkova, 6-1, 6-2. Rebecca Berger lost to Adrienn Hidvegi, 6-4, 6-2, while Kim van Ginkel lost a tough three set match, 2-6, 6-4, 10-4, against Jana Albers. In the final match of the day, Anna Maskaljun defeated Carly Van Hollen, 7-5, 6-1.
Wyoming is back out on the road next week in conference action. They will face the BYU Cougars, on April 9, in Provo, followed by a match-up with the Utah Utes, on April 10, in Salt Lake City.
#52 UNLV 6, #68 Wyoming 1
1. Synkova-van Ginkel (WY) def. Josifoska-Pavlovic (UNLV) 8-6
2. Batta-Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Berger-Kovacs (WY) 8-3
3. Van Hollen-Popovici (WY) def. Albers-Hidvegi (UNLV) 8-3
1. #110 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Veronica Popovici (WY) 6-1, 6-3
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) 6-0, 6-2
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 6-1, 6-2
4. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) def. Rebecca Berger (WY) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jana Albers (UNLV) def. Kim van Ginkel (WY) 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
6. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Carly Van Hollen (WY) 7-5, 6-1