April 3, 2010
Ft. Worth, Texas (April 3, 2010) -The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis Team (9-5 overall, 1-1 in MWC) lost a heartbreaking 4-3 match against the TCU Frogs (4-12 overall, 2-0 MWC), on Saturday morning, in Ft. Worth.
"I am proud of our team for the way we competed," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "We found a higher gear that we have been looking for all spring, and we continue to believe that we can beat anybody in this conference. We will come through under pressure. Certainly we are disappointed about the loss. TCU is the defending MWC champion and they found ways to win today."
The Cowgirls fell behind early in the match as could only manage one win in doubles play. The number one team of Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel defeated the 40th ranked team of Kayla Duncan and Katariina Tuohimaa, 8-4. Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs fell to Nina Munch-Soegaard and Maria Babanova, 8-4, as did Carly Van Hollen and Sarah Summerfield, 8-4 against Gaby Mastromarino and Idunn Hertzberg.
It was a battle all day in singles play and it would come down the final match to see who would come away with the victory. Wyoming's van Ginkel won the first match of the day for the Cowgirls with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Babanova. She was followed by Berger with a straight set win, 6-2, 6-3, over Hertzberg at the fourth position. Summerfield battled against the 63rd ranked Munch-Soegaard, but came up short 6-3, 7-5, as did Nemcova against Mastromarino, 6-0, 6-0. Kovacs would even up the match at three all with her victory over the 90th ranked Duncan, 6-3, 6-2. The final match of the day had Simona Synkova against Katariina Tuohimaa at the number three position. Synkova took the first set easily 6-2, but Tuohimaa fought back and won the second set 6-2 to force a third set. She would come away with the 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 win to give the Frogs the close 4-3 victory.
The Cowgirls will return next week for three matches at home. They will host North Dakota, on Friday, April 9, the BYU Cougars, on Saturday, April 10, and the Utah Utes, on Sunday, April 11. The Friday match is set for 2:30 p.m. while the Saturday and Sunday matches will begin at 10:00 a.m.
Doubles (Order of Finish 2-1-3)
1. Simona Synkova/Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. #40 Kayla Duncan/Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) 8-4
2. Nina Munch-Soegaard/Maria Babanova (TCU) def. Rebecca Berger/Alexandra Kovacs (WY) 8-4
3. Gaby Mastromarino/Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) def. Carly Van Hollen/Sarah Summerfield (WY) 8-4
1. #63 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. Sarah Summerfield (WY) 6-3, 7-5
2. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. #90 Kayla Duncan (TCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Rebecca Berger (WY) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. Maria Babanova (TCU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY) 6-0, 6-0