ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The Wyoming tennis team (8-10 overall, 1-1 MW) suffered a 5-2 loss against the 45th ranked New Mexico Lobos (9-6, 2-0 MW) on Sunday afternoon.
“In doubles, we didn’t play disciplined enough to pull out the point,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “We gave ourselves chances in singles and didn’t go away. I like where our team is headed and I know we will be ready for the next conference matches. Thanks to all the great fans that showed up to support us.”
New Mexico jumped out early by winning two of the first three matches in doubles action. The pair of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva dropped the match, 6-4, against Emily Olivier and Dominique Dulski, while the duo of Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert fell to Ludivine Burguiere and Sharon Coone, 6-4.
Burgiere won at the number three position, 6-1, 6-3, over Jonas followed by Talbert dropping her match 6-3, 6-0 against Rachana Bhat. UW earned its first point with Stencel defeating Andrea LeBlanc, 6-4, 6-1, while the Lobos clinched the match with Coone winning in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, against Tessa van Der Ploeg.
Wyoming returns to action on Friday, April 15 against the Boise State Broncos. The match is set for 5 p.m. MT at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
New Mexico 5, Wyoming Cowgirls 2
Apr 03, 2016 at Albuquerque, N.M.
(McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium)
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. LeBLANC, Andrea (NM) 6-4, 6-1
2. OLIVIER, Emily (NM) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY) 7-5, 4-5, 1-0 (10-0)
3. BURGUIERE, Ludivine (NM) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-1, 6-3
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. DULSKI, Dominique (NM) 6-3, 6-7 (1-7), 1-0 (10-4)
5. COONE, Sharon (NM) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-4, 6-1
6. BHAT, Rachana (NM) def. Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-3, 6-0
1. OLIVIER, Emily/DULSKI, Dominique (NM) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-4
2. LeBLANC, Andrea/BHAT, Rachana (NM) vs. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) 3-5, unf.
3. BURGUIERE, Ludivine/COONE, Sharon (NM) def. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,6,1,5,2,4)