April 4, 2004
Albuquerque, N.M. - The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team continued conference play on the road with a 6-1 loss to the 32nd ranked New Mexico Lobos on Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque, N.M. The Cowgirls fell to 9-6 overall and 0-2 in the MWC while the Lobos improved to 12-3 overall and 1-0 in conference play.
New Mexico opened up the match strong in doubles play by sweeping all three matches. The number one team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski fell 8-3 to Iva Gersic and Maria Ruiz-Fabrega as did Jennifer Hancock and Andrea House, 8-4, to Tiffany Robertson and Michelle Heidbrink. The Lobos closed out doubles play with Sandy Lukowski and Nora Quintal earning an 8-1 win over Yuliani Santi and Amy Senko.
UNM also dominated in singles play by taking five of six matches. The only Cowgirl to come away with a win was senior Yuliani Santi. At the No. 2 position, Santi earned a hard fought 1-6, 6-4 (10-7) win over Tiffany Robertson. Patricia Chien fell in two sets, 6-2, 6-1, against Iva Gersic as did Jennifer Hancock, 6-0, 6-1, to Michelle Heidbrink. At the No. 4 spot, New Mexico's Sandy Lukowski defeated Karolina Rowinski in a tough three set match, 4-6, 6-2, (10-2), which broke a nine match winning streak for Rowinski. The Lobos closed out the match with Tjasa Suvak earning a 6-0, 6-3 win over Amy Senko, and Maria Ruiz-Fabrega defeating Andrea House, 6-3, 6-0.
UNM: 6, Wyoming: 1
1. Iva Gersic (UNM) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 6-2, 6-1
2. Yuliani Santi (UW) def. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) ,1-6, 6-4 (10-7)
3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW), 6-0, 6-1
4. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Karolina Rowinski (UW), 4-6, 6-3, (10-2)
5. Tjasa Suvak (UNM) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-0, 6-3
6. Maria Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Andrea House (UW), 6-3, 6-0
1. Iva Gersic/Maria Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Karolina Rowinski/Patricia Chien (UW), 8-3
2. Tiffany Robertson/Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Jennifer Hancock/Andrea House (UW), 8-4
3. Sandy Lukowski/Nora Quintal (UNM) def. Yuliani Santi/Amy Senko (UW), 8-1