April 4, 2004
Albuquerque, N.M. - The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team closed out their weekend with a disappointing 4-3 loss to the Air Force Academy Falcons on Sunday morning in Albuquerque. The Cowgirls fall to 9-7 overall and 0-3 in conference play, while the Falcons improve to 13-6 overall and 1-1 in the MWC.
Air Force started off the day by taking the doubles point winning two of three matches. The number one team of Yuliani Santi and Jennifer Hancock fell 8-0 to Laura Nigro and Gina Black as did Andrea House and Gwen Moser in a tough 9-7 loss to Kellie Crail and Katie Tomkie. The only Cowgirl team to win was the No. 2 team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski who earned a nice 8-6 win over Katherine Bushey and Karissa Walker.
It would be that doubles point that would come back to haunt the Cowgirls as it even after all six singles matches were played. Senior Jennifer Hancock helped the cause by winning her match as did freshmen Karolina Rowinski and Andrea House. Hancock earned a 6-4, 5-7, 10-4 win over Karissa Walker at the number three spot as did Rowinski, 6-7, 7-5, 10-8, over Gina Black. House defeated her opponent Kellie Crail in two sets, 6-1, 6-4, to earn a win. At the No. 1 spot, the Falcons Laura Negro defeated Patricia Chien in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, while Katherine Bushey defeated Yuliani Santi, 6-1, 6-3. In the final singles match of the day at the No. 5 spot, it would be Katie Tomkie with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Amy Senko.
Wyoming will continue conference play next weekend as they travel to San Diego, Calif. They will face the UNLV Lady Rebels, on Friday April 9, and the San Diego State Aztecs, on Saturday April 10. Both matches will begin at 11:00 a.m. Mountain Time.
Air Force: 4, Wyoming: 3
1. Laura Nigro (AFA) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 6-2, 6-2
2. Katherine Bushey (AFA) def. Yuliani Santi (UW), 6-1, 6-3
3. Jennifer Hancock (UW) def. Karissa Walker (AFA), 6-4, 5-7, 10-4
4. Karolina Rowinski (UW) def. Gina Black (AFA), 6-7, 7-5, 10-8
5. Katie Tomkie (AFA) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrea House (UW) def. Kellie Crail (AFA), 6-1, 6-4
1. Laura Nigro/Gina Black (AFA) def. Yuliani Santi/Jennifer Hancock (UW), 8-0
2. Patricia Chien/Karolina Rowinski (UW) def. Katherine Bushey/Karissa Walker (AFA), 8-6
3. Kellie Crail/Katie Tomkie (AFA) def. Andrea House/Gwen Moser (UW), 9-7