April 4, 2006
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
In their only home match of the spring season, the Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team swept the Northern Colorado Bears, 7-0. The Cowgirls improve to 8-10 overall, while the Bears drop to 5-9 overall.
"I was very proud of the way each and every girl played today," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "It was nice to all come together as a team and win one at home on senior day."
In doubles play, the Cowgirls earned the point by winning all three matches. UW's number one team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski earned an 8-4 win over UNC's Meredith Krystofik and Christina Shelly. Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Amy Senko had a battle against the Bears' Karen Groll and Renee Nuccio 8-7 (3), at the No. 2 spot, while the Cowgirl team of Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien closed things out with an 8-1 win against UNC's Tonya Bunting and Kellie Crail.
Wyoming also took over in singles play by sweeping all six matches. The Cowgirls were led by their lone senior, Chien, who had a two set win, 7-6 (4), 6-3, over Krystofik at number two singles. At the number one position, Rowinski earned a hard fought 6-4, 3-6, (10-4) victory over Groll. House defeated Nuccio in two sets, 7-6 (9-7), 6-2, as did Jamie Nelson over Shelly, 6-4, 7-5. Lazar had an easy time, 6-2, 6-0, over Crail, while Senko rounded out singles play as she cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Bunting.
The Cowgirls will be on the road for two matches this weekend in California. They will take on San Diego State, on Friday, April 7, and UNLV on Saturday, April 8.
Wyoming 7 Northern Colorado 0
1. Karolina Rowinski (WY) def. Karen Groll (UNC), 6-4, 3-6, (10-4)
2. Patricia Chien (WY) def. Meredith Krystofik (UNC), 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Andrea House (WY) def. Renee Nuccio (UNC), 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
4. Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Christina Shelly (UNC), 6-4, 7-5
5. Corina Lazar (WY) def. Kellie Crail (UNC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Amy Senko (WY) def. Tonya Bunting (UNC), 6-0, 6-0
1. House/Rowinski (WY) def. Krystofik/Shelly (UNC), 8-4
2. Lazar/Senko (WY) def. Groll/Nuccio (UNC), 8-7 (3)
3. Michelle Brown/Chien (WY) def. Bunting/Crail (UNC), 8-1