April 4, 2013
FRESNO, Calif. -
The Cowgirl tennis team came up short 4-3 against the 60th ranked Fresno State Bulldogs, on Thursday afternoon, in Fresno. They are now 8-8 overall and 2-1 in MW play this spring.
"We played tennis today the way its supposed to be played," said head coach Dean Clower. "I'm proud of our effort today and just came up a bit short. We will come back tomorrow with the same intensity. We've talked about it all year we want to peak at conference and today was another step towards that."
It was a battle in doubles action in all three matches as the Bulldogs would come out on top with the point. Olga Kirpicheva and Aishwarya Agrawal opened up the match with an 8-5 victory against Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova. The Cowgirls evened it up as Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed, 8-4. In the final doubles match, Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova were ahead 6-5, but couldn't hold on as Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts won the last three sets to take the match, 8-6.
In singles action, it went down to the final match on which team came away with the victory. Sophie Watts defeated Nemcova, 6-1, 6-2, to put the Bulldogs ahead 2-0, while Kovacs earned Wyoming's first point with her win, 6-4, 6-4, over McQueen. At the number two spot Agrawal won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, against Synkova. The Cowgirls evened up the score at three all as Parizher beat Modoc, 6-3, 6-4, and Zhelyazkova won 6-4, 6-2, against Anneka Watts. The final match-up was at the number one position with Rana Sherif Ahmed and Veronica Popovici squaring off. Sherif Ahmed took set one, 7-6 (7-4), to start things off which was followed by Popovici winning set two, 6-2. Unfortunately, the match would go to Sherif Ahmed who won the third set, 6-2.
Wyoming will close out the week tomorrow morning against the Nevada Wolf Pack. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. Mountain Time in Fresno, Calif.
#60 Fresno State 4 Wyoming 3
1. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Veronica Popovici (WY) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-2
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Simona Synkova (WY) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-4, 6-4
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-3, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,3,2,5,6,1
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. McQueen/Sherif Ahmed (FSU), 8-4
2. Modoc/Sophie Watts (FSU) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY), 8-6
3. Kirpicheva/Agrawal (FSU) def. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY), 8-5
Order of finish: 3,1,2