April 5, 2003
Colorado Springs, Colo. (April 5, 2003) -- The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team opened up the weekend with a 7-0 loss to the New Mexico Lobos, on Saturday morning, in Colorado Springs . The Cowgirls fall to 7-9 overall and 0-3 in conference, while the Lobos improve to 12-8 overall and 4-2 in the MWC.
New Mexico took the doubles point as all three Lobo duos came away with victories. The team of Maja Kovacek and Sandy Lukowski defeated Patricia Chien and Gwen Moser, 8-2. At the No. 2 spot Maris Ruiz-Fabrega and Rachel Hately earned an 8-2 victory over Kati Gyulai and Jennifer Hancock, while Tiffany Robertson and Michelle Heidbrink defeated Yuliani Santi and Megan Williams, 8-4, to wrap up the Lobo sweep.
Singles play was also dominated by New Mexico led by Maja Kovacek in the No. 1 spot with her 6-3, 6-2 victory over Patricia Chien. Junior Yuliani Santi dropped her match against Sandy Lukowski, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 2 slot. Michelle Heidbrink earned a 7-6, 6-2 victory over Kati Gyulai, while junior Jennifer Hancock fell to Tiffany Robertson, 6-4, 6-3. The Lobos closed out singles play with Maris Ruiz-Fabrega defeating Gwen Moser, 6-2, 6-3, and Megan Williams falling to Rachel Hately, 6-0, 6-3,
Wyoming will close out the weekend against the Air Force Academy Falcons, tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m., in Colorado Springs.
New Mexico 7, Wyoming 0
1. Maja Kovacek (UNM) def. Patricia Chien (UW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Yuliani Santi (UW) 6-2, 6-3
3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Kati Gyulai (UW) 7-6, 6-2
4. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maris Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Gwen Moser (UW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Rachel Hately (UNM) def. Megan Williams (UW) 6-0, 6-3
1. Kovacek/Lukowski (UNM) def. Chien/Moser (UW) 8-2
2. Ruiz-Fabrega/Hately (UNM) def. Gyulai/Hancock (UW) 8-2
3. Robertson/Heidbrink (UNM) def. Santi/Williams (UW) 8-4