April 5, 2013
FRESNO, Calif. -
For the second straight day, the Cowgirl tennis team fell by the score of 4-3 against the Nevada Wolf Pack, on Friday morning, in Fresno. They are now 8-9 overall and 2-2 in MW play this spring.
"We lost a battle this morning against a solid Nevada team," said head coach Dean Clower. "Unfortunately, we lost the doubles point and that was the difference as every singles match could have gone either way. We will need a solid week of practice to get ready for Boise State and New Mexico."
It was the doubles point that came back to haunt the Cowgirls as Nevada won two of three matches to earn the first point of the day. The only team to come away with a victory was Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova who defeated Shelia Smiley and Caroline Konigsfeldt, 8-5. Juliete Legendre and Sophie Stevens defeated Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova, 8-6, while the number one team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova fell 8-5 to Emma Verberne and Michelle Okhremchuk.
In singles action, it went was back and forth between the two teams. Okhremchuk won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 over Popovici as did Verberne against Synkova, 6-1, 6-1. The Cowgirls rallied as Kovacs won 6-3, 7-6 (5) against Stevens followed by Nemcova defeating Smiley, 7-6 (4), 6-0. It went down to the fifth and sixth spots in the line-up. Zhelyzkova came out on top, 6-0, 6-0, against Rymma Maslova evening the score up at three all. Unfortunately, Wyoming came up short as Parizher lost to Legendre, 6-3, 7-6 (5).
The Cowgirls will resume action next week against the Boise State Broncos, on Saturday, April 13, and the New Mexico Lobos, on Sunday, April 14. Both matches will be played in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Nevada 4 Wyoming 3
1. Michelle Okhremchuk (UNR) def. Veronica Popovici (WY), 6-2, 6-3
2. Emma Verberne (UNR) def. Simona Synkova (WY) , 6-1, 6-1
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Sophie Stevens (UNR), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Shelia Smiley (UNR), 7-6 (4), 6-0
5. Juliette Legendre (UNR) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Rymma Maslova (UNR), 6-0, 6-0
1. Verberne/Okhremchuk (UNR) def. Popovici/Synkova (WY), 8-5
2. Legendre/Stevens (UNR) def. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY), 8-6
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Smiley/Caroline Konigsfeldt (UNR), 8-5