April 6, 2002
LARAMIE, Wyo. - The University of Wyomingwomen's tennis team fell 5-2 to 40th ranked Brigham YoungUniversity Saturday at the UW Tennis Courts.
The loss to the Cougars leaves UW 1-1 on its currenthomestand with one match remaining. The Cowgirls (6-10overall, 1-3 MWC) defeated Utah 4-3 Friday and square offwith Colorado State in an 11 a.m. Sunday showdown at the UWTennis Courts.
"Obviously this was a match we wanted to win, but I'mreally happy with the effort I saw from the girls,"Cowgirl head coach Pam Wildt said. "This is a team thatbeat us 7-0 last year, and this match was closer than that5-2 score. We're improving and we're starting to playwith more confidence."
The Cougars (8-12, 3-3) swept the doubles matches, winningall three flights. Lu Oswald and Dominique Reynolds combinedto win 8-1 over Jenny Bowman and Jen Hancock in number-onedoubles. Lindsay Ferrell and Nicole Schneider topped YulianiSanti and Paulina del Monte 8-6 in the second position andElizaveta Khoudoiarova and Rebecca Pike beat Kati Gyulai andToni Terhaar 8-5 in number-three doubles.
"We struggled a little in doubles but the kids didn'tgive up," Wildt said. "They hung in and kept fighting.Kati and Toni in particular played much better today."
The Cowgirls rallied to tie the match at 2-2 on thestrength of singles wins from Bowman and Hancock. Bowmandowned the hard-hitting Oswald in number-one singles with a7-5, 6-1 straight set victory to improve to 18-5 on theseason.
Hancock also came up big. After beating Ferrell 6-2 in theopening set at the third position, the sophomore ralliedfrom a 4-1 deficit in the second set to prevail 7-6 and sewup the victory.
"She made a pretty incredible comeback," Wildt said."She's playing with so much confidence right now andthat really makes a difference. She kept playing her game inthe second set and I think the altitude may have gotten toher opponent a little bit. Jen hung tough."
BYU closed the match with wins in the number four, five andsix positions for the final score.
Originally scheduled for 12 noon, the starting time forSunday's Wyoming-CSU match has been changed to 11 a.m. TheRams fell 5-2 to Utah Saturday.
Complete Results From Matches Played April 6, 2002 at the UW Tennis Courts:
Wyoming vs. BYU
1. Jenny Bowman (WYO) def. Lu Oswald (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Yuliani Santi (WYO) 7-6, 6-4
3. Jen Hancock (WYO) def. Lindsay Ferrell (BYU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Paulina del Monte (WYO)6-2, 6-2
5. Elizaveta Khoudoiarova (BYU) def. Toni Terhaar (WYO) 6-0,6-0
6. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Kati Gyulai (WYO) 7-5, 7-6(10-6)
1. Reynolds/Oswald (BYU) def. Bowman/Hancock (WYO) 8-1
2. Ferrell/Schneider (BYU) def. Santi/del Monte (WYO) 8-6
3. Khoudoiarova/Pike (BYU) def. Terhaar/Gyulai (WYO) 8-5
CSU vs. Utah
1. Sanja Hansson (CSU) def. Sheri Esrock (Utah) 6-1, 7-5
2. Linn Ronnberg (Utah) def. Amanda Bartz (CSU) 7-6, 4-6,6-4
3. Ellen Svensson (Utah) def. Catherine Sullivan (CSU) 6-1,2-6, 6-4
4. Cassie Kasteler (Utah) def. Bobbe Vasos (CSU) 6-2, 2-6,6-2
5. Irini Kotoglou (Utah) def. Dasha Zhurin (CSU) 6-4, 4-6,6-1
6. Alison Hansen (Utah) def. Alexandra Paganetti (CSU) 6-2,6-4
1. Hansson/Sullivan (CSU) def. Kotoglou/Hansen (Utah) 8-1
2. Bartz/Vasos (CSU) def. Kasteler/Svensson (Utah) 9-7
3. Ronnberg/Esrock (Utah) def. Paganetti/Zhurin (CSU) 9-8