April 7, 2006
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team opened up the weekend with a 7-0 loss against the 48th ranked UNLV Rebels, on Friday morning, in San Diego.
"We played a very tough team today in UNLV," said head coach Krissy Hall. "Corina had a close match against Claire Smith, but just couldn't pull it out in the end. We need to take the things we learned from this match and apply them in the match against San Diego State tomorrow."
In doubles play, the Rebels took all three matches to win the point. The number one UW team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski fell to Elena Gantcheva and Sharon Marin, 8-3, while Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Amy Senko lost 8-1 to Nikol Dimitrova and Claire Smith. UNLV wrapped it up with the team of Cindy Treber and Mery Constanti defeating Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien, 8-0.
UNLV would win all six singles matches as well. Rowinski fell in two sets, 6-0, 6-0, to the 16th ranked player in the country, Gantcheva. At the number five spot, Lazar had a tough three set match, 6-7, 7-6, (10-7), against Smith. Chien lost in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, against Dimitrova at the second spot, as did House, 6-0, 6-1, in her match against Marin. Treber won 6-3, 6-3 over Jamie Nelson while UNLV wrapped things up as Linda Tempelfelde defeated Senko, 6-2, 6-1.
Wyoming will resume play on Saturday, April 8, as they take on the San Diego State Aztecs at noon.
#48 UNLV 7, Wyoming 0
1. #16 Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) def. Karolina Rowinski (WYO), 6-0, 6-0
2. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Patricia Chien (WYO), 6-2, 6-4
3. Sharon Marin (UNLV) def. Andrea House (WYO), 6-0, 6-1
4. Cindy Treber (UNLV) def. Jamie Nelson (WYO), 6-3, 6-3
5. Claire Smith (UNLV) def. Corina Lazar (WYO), 6-7, 7-6, 10-7
6. Linda Tempelfelde (UNLV) def. Amy Senko (WYO), 6-2, 6-1
1. Gantcheva/Marin (UNLV) def. House/Rowinski (WYO), 8-3
2. Dimitrova/Smith (UNLV) def. Lazar/Senko (WYO), 8-1
3. Treber/Constanti (UNLV) def. Michelle Brown/Chien (WYO), 8-0