April 8, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team closed out the weekend with a 6-1 loss against the San Diego State Aztecs, on Saturday afternoon, in San Diego.
"I was extremely proud of the way we competed today," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "San Diego State is a very tough team and the scores do not really reflect the way we played."
In doubles play, the Aztecs took all three matches to win the point. The number one UW team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski fell to Dita Hauerlandova and Sisse Nielsen, 8-1, while Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Amy Senko lost 8-2 to Aleysa Vidov and Milana Yusupov. SDSU wrapped it up with the team of Esther Cadua and Yuki Hagiwara defeating Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien, 8-4.
The Aztecs would win five of six singles matches. The lone Cowgirl to win a match was Lazar as she defeated Cadua, 6-3, 4-6, (10-7). Rowinski fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-2, to Hauerlandova. Chien lost in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1, against Vidov at the second spot as did House, 7-5, 6-1, in her match against Yusupov. Nielsen won 6-4, 6-0 over Jamie Nelson while San Diego State wrapped things up as Hagiwara defeated Senko, 6-3, 6-2.
Wyoming will wrap up the regular season next week as they take on the BYU Cougars, on Thursday, April 13, and the Utah Utes, on Friday, April 14. Both matches will be played in Colorado Springs.
San Diego State 6, Wyoming 1
1. Dita Hauerlandova (SDSU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WYO), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alesya Vidov (SDSU) def. Patricia Chien (WYO), 7-5, 6-1
3. Milana Yusupov (SDSU) def. Andrea House (WYO), 7-5, 6-1
4. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Jamie Nelson (WYO), 6-4, 6-0
5. Corina Lazar (WYO) def. Esther Cadua (SDSU), 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)
6. Yuki Hagiwara (SDSU) def. Amy Senko (WYO), 6-3, 6-2
1. Hauerlandova/Nielsen (SDSU) def. House/Rowinski (WYO), 8-1
2. Vidov/Yusupov (SDSU) def. Lazar/Senko (WYO), 8-2
3. Cadua/Hagiwara (SDSU) def. Michelle Brown/Chien (WYO), 8-4