April 7, 2007
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team defeated the Colorado State Rams Saturday night 5-2 at the UW Tennis Complex in Laramie. The victory marked the first time Wyoming had beaten the Rams since the 1996-97 season and improved the Cowgirls record to 6-11 overall and 2-4 in the Mountain West Conference. The Rams fall to 7-9 overall and 2-5 in the MWC.
"I am so proud of our girls," head coach Kristen Hall said. "It was a great win for us, especially on senior night."
Wyoming fell behind early 1-0 losing the doubles point 2-1, but came back strong winning five of the six singles matches.
Cowgirl seniors Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski both won their final home singles matches. House defeated Greer Satherlie 6-1, 6-2 and Rowinski defeated Lauren Strasburger 6-2, 3-6, 6-4. At the number one position, UW's Sarah Summerfield defeated Emily Kirchem in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, as did Cowgirl Jamie Nelson over Kirsten Stople, 7-6, 6-4. It took Wyoming's Michelle Brown three sets, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, against Anette Pohjalainen.
"It was great for our seniors to win their matches today," Hall continued. "We did a great job of fighting back after losing the doubles point to win five of our last six matches. Today was a huge step for the girls and our entire program."
Wyoming will now head to Denver, Colo. to face the Denver Pioneers Thursday, April 12 at 1 p.m. MT.
1. Emily Kirchem/Hilary Tyler (CSU) def. Andrea House/Karolina Rowinski (WY), 8-2
2. Lauren Strasburger/Anette Pohjalainen (CSU) def. Michelle Brown/Corina Lazar (WY), 8-5
3. Jamie Nelson/Sarah Summerfield (WY) def. Kirsten Stople/Greer Satherlie (CSU), 8-4
1. Sarah Summerfield (WY) def. Emily Kirchem (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Karolina Rowinski (WY) def. Lauren Strasburger (CSU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. Hilary Tyler (CSU) def. Corina Lazar (WY), 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
4. Michelle Brown (WY) def. Anette Pohjalainen (CSU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Andrea House (WY) def. Greer Satherlie (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Kirsten Stople (CSU), 7-6, 6-4