April 10, 2004
San Diego, Calif. -- The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team opened weekend play with a 6-1 loss to the 48th ranked UNLV Lady Rebels, on Friday morning, in San Diego, Calif. The Cowgirls fall to 9-8 overall and 0-4 in the MWC while the Lady Rebels improve to 13-5 overall and 3-1 in conference play.
UNLV opened up the match strong in doubles play by sweeping all three matches. The number one team of Yuliani Santi and Amy Senko fell 8-2 to Agnieszka Abram and Anne Claire Ortiz-Luis, while Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski were defeated by Gyorgyi Zsiros and Claire Smith, 8-4. The Lady Rebels closed out doubles play with Cindy Treber and Mery Constanti earning an 8-2 win over the team of Jennifer Hancock and Andrea House.
UNLV also dominated in singles play by taking five of six matches. The only Cowgirl to come away with a win was senior Yuliani Santi. At the No. 2 spot, Santi earned a hard fought 6-7, 7-6 (10-8) win over Agnieszka Abram. Patricia Chien lost a tough one 6-4, 6-7, (10-2), against Gyorgyi Zsiros as did Jennifer Hancock, 6-0, 6-3 to Anne Claire Ortiz-Luis. At the No. 4 spot, UNLV's Cindy Treber defeated Karolina Rowinski in a two set match, 6-2, 6-3, Claire Smith earned a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Amy Senko at the No. 5 position. The Lady Rebels closed out the match with Mery Constanti defeating Andrea House, 6-2, 6-4.
The Cowgirls will continue play tomorrow morning in San Diego with a match-up against the San Diego State Aztecs beginning at 11:00 a.m. MT.
1. Gyorgyi Zsiros (UNLV) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 6-4, 6-7, (10-2)
2. Yuliani Santi (UW) def. Agnieszka Abram (UNLV), 6-7, 7-6, (10-8)
3. Anne Claire Ortiz-Luis (UNLV) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW), 6-0, 6-3
4. Cindy Treber (UNLV) def. Karolina Rowinski (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Claire Smith (UNLV) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-0, 6-1
6. Mery Constanti (UNLV) def. Andrea House (UW), 6-2, 6-4
Doubles - (UNLV wins point)
1. Agnieszka Abram/Anne Claire Ortiz-Luis (UNLV) def. Yuliani Santi/Amy Senko (UW), 8-2
2. Gyorgyi Zsiros/Claire Smith (UNLV) def. Patricia Chien/Karolina Rowinski (UW), 8-4
3. Cindy Treber/Mery Constanti (UNLV) def. Jennifer Hancock/Andrea House (UW), 8-2