LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team moved into a tie for first place in the Mountain West Conference with a 4-3 victory over the 54th ranked New Mexico Lobos on Friday afternoon. The Cowgirls are now 11-5 overall and 3-0 in the MW action while the Lobos move to 12-8 overall and 3-1 in league play. With the victory, head coach Dean Clower is now the all-time winningest head coach in school history with 46 career wins.
"This was a huge team win for us today. By in large the biggest win we've had in a while," Clower said. "In singles, we definitely got after it lines one through six and played hard then played the right way in doubles action. Congratulations to the whole team they deserve this win. We can enjoy this tonight but tomorrow we have to get up and ready for a tough Air Force team."
Wyoming began the day with two victories in doubles action to go up 1-0. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova earned a 6-3 win over Rachana Bhat and Sharon Coone while Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel defeated Dolminique Dulski and Meredith Hopson, 6-3. Seniors Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva fell 6-2 against Emily Olivier and Natasha Smith.
At the number three position, Jonas defeated Hopson, 6-1, 6-2, followed by Stencel with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Smith to pull ahead 3-0. The Lobos earned the next three points to even up the match. Olivier beat Tokareva, 7-5, 6-2 while Dulski needed three sets, 6-1, 0-6, 6-1, to defeat Parizher. It came down to the final two matches of the day at the five and six positions. Gecheva went down to the wire with Bhat but fell, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2). Zhelyazkova battled back after being down 5-3 in the first set to win the next four games to win, 7-5, followed by a 6-4 win in the second to lead Wyoming to the 4-3 victory.
Wyoming will return to action tomorrow as it hosts the Air Force Falcons. The match is set for 11 a.m. MT at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
Wyoming (11-5, 3-0 MW) vs. New Mexico (12-8, 3-1 MW)
April 10, 2015 | Laramie, Wyo. (UW Indoor Tennis Courts)
1. Emily Olivier/Natasha Smith (UNM) def. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WY), 6-2
2. Jessica Parizher/Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Dominique Dulski/Meredith Hopson (UNM), 6-3
3. Dorottya Jonas/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Rachana Bhat/Sharon Coone (UNM), 6-3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Natasha Smith (UNM), 6-3, 6-4
2. Emily Oliver (UNM) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 7-5, 6-2
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Meredith Hopson (UNM), 6-1, 6-2
4. Dominique Dulski (UNM) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-1, 0-6, 6-1
5. Rachana Bhat (UNM) def. Christa Gecheva (WY), 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Sharon Coone (UNM), 7-5, 6-4