April 11, 2003
Laramie, Wyo. - In their opening match of the weekend, the Cowgirl tennis team fell to the BYU Cougars, 6-1, on Friday afternoon at the UW Tennis Complex in Laramie. The Cowgirls drop to 7-11 overall and 0-5 in conference play, while the Cougars improve to 9-10 overall and 4-2 in the MWC.
BYU grabbed the doubles point after all three teams came away with victories. The team of Reynolds and Klempner earned an 8-2 win over the freshmen team of Patricia Chien and Gwen Moser. At the No. 2 spot Yuliani Santi and Jen Hancock lost a heartbreaker 9-8 to Hadley Macfarlane and Nicole Schneider, while Rebecca Pike and Olga Bulycheva defeated Kati Gyulai and Megan Williams in a close 8-6 match to wrap up the BYU sweep.
Despite some close matches in singles play, only one Cowgirl came away with a win. Junior Yuliani Santi earned a 7-6, 7-6 win at the No. 2 slot over Olga Bulycheva. The win gives Santi a 20-13 record overall this season and her first victory in the conference. Freshman Patricia Chien lost a close one falling to Dominque Reynolds 4-6, 7-5 (10-8) in a tiebreaker. At the No. 3 spot, Kati Gyulai dropped her match to Rebecca Pike, 7-5, 6-1, while Jen Hancock had a tough day with a 6-0, 6-0 straight set loss to Hadley Macfarlane. The Cougars closed out singles play with Nicole Schneider defeating Megan Williams, 6-1, 6-1, and Gwen Moser falling to Hanni Wittenbecher, 6-2, 6-3.
"It's frustrating how we get so close in these matches, but just can't pull them out," said head coach Pam Wildt. "We really haven't played outside on these courts that many times because of the weather, but I do expect the kids to do well being at home. It was exciting to see and I really appreciate all of the fan support today. We just need to regroup and do what we know to come away with a victory against Utah tomorrow."
The Cowgirls will continue play at home tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. at the UW Tennis Complex, and will wrap up the weekend against the Colorado State Rams, Sunday at noon, in Ft. Collins, Colo.
BYU 6 Wyoming 1
1. Dominque Reynolds (BYU) def. Patricia Chien (UW) 4-6, 7-5 (10-8)
2. Yuliani Santi (UW) def. Olga Bulycheva (BYU) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (2)
3. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Kati Gyulai (UW) 7-5, 6-1
4. Hadley Macfarlane (BYU) def. Jen Hancock (UW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Megan Williams (UW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Hanni Wittenbecher (BYU) def. Gwen Moser (UW) 6-2, 6-3
1. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) def. Chien/Moser (UW) 8-2
2. Macfarlane/Schneider (BYU) def. Hancock/Santi (UW) 9-8 (6)
3. Pike/Bulycheva (BYU) def. Gyulai/Williams (UW) 8-6