April 12, 2008
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (10-11 overall, 1-6 in the MWC) closed out their weekend with a disappointing 7-0 loss against the San Diego State Aztecs, on Saturday morning, in San Diego.
SDSU won two of three doubles matches to earn the team point. The Cowgirl team of Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar defeated Eliska Krausova and Julia Trunk, 8-4. Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen lost to Milana Yusupov and Sisse Nielsen, 8-1, as did UW's Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson, 8-1, to Esther Cadua and Kitts.
The Aztecs then won all six singles matches to come away with the team victory. Lazar lost, 6-2, 6-0, against Holly Bagshaw, while Van Hollen lost in two sets, 6-1, 6-2, against Krausova. Berger had a tough three set loss, 6-3, 1-6, 10-5, against Trunk. At the number four spot, Cadua defeated Sarah Summerfield, 6-4, 6-4, while Brown fell to Yusupov, 6-2, 6-3. DeFelice was tied a set a piece, but retired down 2-1 in the third set.
Wyoming will close out the regular conference season on Wednesday, April 16, against the Colorado State Rams. The match is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in Ft. Collins.
SAN DIEGO STATE 7, WYOMING 0
1. Berger/Lazar (UW) def. Krausova/Trunk (SDSU), 8-4
2. Yusupov/Nielsen (SDSU) def. Brown/VanHollen (UW), 8-1
3. Cadua/Kitts (SDSU) def. DeFelice / Jamie Nelson (UW), 8-1
1. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) def. Corina Lazar (UW), 6-2, 6-0
2. Julia Trunk (SDSU) def. Rebecca Berger (UW), 6-3, 1-6, 10-5
3. Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Carly VanHollen (UW), 6-1, 6-2
4. Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Sarah Summerfield (UW), 6-4, 6-4
5. Milana Yusupov (SDSU) def. Michelle Brown (UW), 6-2, 6-3
6. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Brittany DeFelice (UW), 4-6, 6-1, 2-1 ret.
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 1, 5*, 4, 6, 2