April 13, 2002
Laramie, Wyo. (April 13, 2002) -- The University of Wyomingwomen's tennis team took its lumps Saturday, falling 7-0to 55th-ranked New Mexico in Mountain West Conference dualplay in Albuquerque, N.M.
The Cowgirls (6-11, 1-5) MWC close the regular seasonSunday in Albuquerque with a 9 a.m. tilt versus Air Force atthe Lobo Tennis Club. The MWC Championships are scheduledfor April 25-27 in Provo, Utah.
In doubles play the sophomore duo of Jenny Bowman and JenHancock took an early 3-2 lead over New Mexico's SandyLukowski and Tiffany Robertson in the number-one positionbefore the Lobo tandem took five of the next six games towin 8-4. Bowman and Hancock are now 15-8 in no. 1 doublesplay this spring.
Cowgirls Yuliani Santi and Paulina del Monte fell to TjasaSuvak and Rachel Hatley 8-0 in no. 2 doubles and ToniTerhaar and Kati Gyulai dropped an 8-4 decision at the no. 3spot to Maria Ruiz-Fabrega and Regula Comtesse as New Mexicoestablished a 1-0 lead.
The Cowgirls' fortunes didn't improve much in singlesplay. In no. 1 singles Bowman took her first set versusSuvak, 6-3, before Suvak rallied to win the second set 6-3and a 10-7 tie-breaker to take the match. It was onlyBowman's second loss in conference dual play this spring.The sophomore now stands 19-6 overall this season and 4-2 inMWC matches.
Santi dropped 6-2, 7-6 to Lukowski in no. 2 singles,Hancock fell to Michelle Heidbrink 6-2, 6-3 in the no. 3spot and del Monte lost 6-3, 6-4 in no. 4 singles toRobertson. Holding a 5-0 lead, New Mexico closed the matchwith wins at the no. 5 and 6 positions. Hatley took a 6-1,6-3 decision over Gyulai in no. 5 singles and Terhaar fell6-1, 6-1 in no. 6 singles to Courtney Choate.
Complete Match Results:
1. Tjasa Suvak (UNM) def. Jenny Bowman (WYO) 3-6, 6-3,(10-7)
2. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Yuliani Santi (WYO) 6-2, 7-6
3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Jennifer Hancock (WYO) 6-2,6-3
4. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) def. Paulina del Monte (WYO) 6-3,6-4
5. Rachel Hatley (UNM) def. Kati Gyulai (WYO) 6-1, 6-3
6. Courtney Choate (UNM) def. Toni Terhaar (WYO) 6-1, 6-1
1. Lukowski/Robertson (UNM) def. Bowman/Hancock (WYO) 8-4
2. Suvak/Hatley (UNM) def. Santi/del Monte (WYO) 8-0
3. Ruiz-Fabrega/Comtesse (UNM) def. Terhaar/Gyulai (WYO) 8-4