April 13, 2003
Ft. Collins, Colo. - The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis Team closed out regular season conference play with a 6-1 loss against the Colorado State Rams, on Sunday afternoon, in Ft. Collins. The Cowgirls drop to 7-13 overall and 0-7 in the Mountain West Conference.
Colorado State grabbed the doubles point after taking two of three matches. The No. 2 team of Jennifer Hancock and Yuliani Santi were the only team that came away with a victory after earning an 8-3 win over Jessica Jones and Alexandra Paganetti. At the No. 1 spot Patricia Chien and Kati Gyulai fell to Sanja Hansson and Dasha Zhurin, 8-2, while Carla Pallares and Tatyana Ugorich defeated Gwen Moser and Megan Williams, 8-6.
Despite some close matches in singles play, only one Cowgirl came away with a victory on the day. Freshman Gwen Moser earned a three-set victory, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5) win at the No. 6 slot over Tatyana Ugorich. It was her first conference win of the season. Two other Cowgirls also took their matches into three sets, but fell short. Yuliani Santi was defeated by Dasha Zhurin, 6-7, 6-2, 1-0 (7), while Jennifer Hancock came up short, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, against Carla Pallares. Freshman Patricia Chien lost her match 6-2, 6-2 to Sanja Hansson in the No. 1 slot. The Rams closed out singles play with Jessica Jones defeating Megan Williams, 6-1, 7-5.
The Cowgirls will close out the regular season next week by hosting the Montana State Lady Cats, on Friday morning, at 11:00 a.m.
CSU 6 Wyoming 1
1. Sanja Hansson (CSU) def. Patricia Chien (UW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Dasha Zhurin (CSU) def. Yuliani Santi (UW) 6-7, 6-2, 1-0 (7)
3. Alexandra Paganetti (CSU) def. Kati Gyulai (UW) 6-2, 6-3
4. Carla Pallares (CSU) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Jessica Jones (CSU) def. Megan Williams (UW) 6-1, 7-5
6. Gwen Moser (UW) def. Tatyana Ugorich (CSU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
1. Hansson/Zhurin (CSU) def. Chien/Gyulai (UW) 8-2
2. Hancock/Santi (UW) def. Jones/Paganetti (CSU) 8-3
3. Pallares/Ugorich (CSU) def. Williams/Moser (UW) 8-6