April 13, 2006
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team started off their week with 7-0 loss against BYU Cougars, on Thursday morning, in Colorado Springs.
"We had a tough day against a very good BYU team," said head coach Krissy Hall. "They are one of the top teams in our league and really showed it today. We need to regroup as a team in order to get ready for our match tomorrow against a competitive Utah squad."
In doubles play, the Cougars took all three matches to win the point. The number one UW team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski lost a heartbreaker, 8-7 (3), to Dolly Chang and Sofia Holden, while Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Amy Senko lost 8-4 to Anastasia Sourkova and Jennifer Miccoli. BYU wrapped it up with the team of Lauren Jones and Hanni Deters defeating Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien, 8-2.
BYU would take all six singles matches. Lazar battled hard but lost in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, (10-6) against Chang at the number four position. Rowinski fell in two sets, 6-1, 6-1, to Jones at the one spot. Chien lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, against Sourkova at the second spot as did House, 6-2, 6-0, in her match against Holden. Miccoli won 6-0, 6-0 over Jamie Nelson, while the Cougars wrapped things up as Rana El Derwy defeated Senko, 7-5, 6-2.
Wyoming will wrap up the regular season tomorrow as they take on the Utah Utes, on Friday, April 14, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
BYU 7, Wyoming 0
1. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-1, 6-1
2. Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def. Patricia Chien (WY), 6-3, 6-1
3. Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Andrea House (WY), 6-2, 6-0
4. Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Corina Lazar (WY), 6-3, 4-6, (10-6)
5. Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 6-0
6. Rana El Derwy (BYU) def. Amy Senko (WY), 7-5, 6-2
1. Chang/Holden (BYU) def. Rowinski/House (WY), 8-7(3)
2. Sourkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Lazar/Senko (WY), 8-4
3. Jones/Hanni Deters (BYU) def. Chien/Michelle Brown (WY), 8-2