April 13, 2013
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team suffered their third straight loss as they fell 4-3, against the Boise State Broncos on Saturday afternoon. They are now 8-10 overall and 2-3 in MW play this spring.
"I'm extremely proud of the way we competed today," said head coach Dean Clower. "We dealt with some tough weather conditions and executed everything we talked about. I couldn't ask anything more of this group of young women. We are right there with this conference and definitely on the right path."
The Cowgirls opened up the match by winning the doubles point. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Manuela and Marlena Pietzuch, 8-6, while Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova clinched the point with their 8-6 victory against Morgan Basil and Sandy Vo. Sophomores Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova lost to Megan LaLone and Bobbi Oshiro, 8-2.
In singles action, it went was back and forth between the two teams. Marlena Pietzuch won in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5 over Popovici to even it up at one all. Synkova defeated Vo, 6-2, 7-5, followed by Kovacs over Basil, 6-1, 6-3, to give Wyoming a 3-1 lead. Boise State rallied back as LaLone beat Nemcova in three sets, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5, and tied it up as Sammie Watson won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, against Parizher. Unfortunately, Wyoming came up short in the last match of the day as Zhelyazkova won the first set 6-3 but fell 6-4, 7-6 (7) against Manuela Pietzuch.
The Cowgirls will close out the weekend tomorrow against the New Mexico Lobos. The match is set to begin at 8:00 a.m. in Colorado Springs.
Boise State 4 Wyoming 3
1. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Veronica Popovici (WY), 6-4, 7-5
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Sandy Vo (BSU), 6-2, 7-5
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Morgan Basil (BSU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Megan LaLone (BSU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Sammie Watson (BSU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-3, 6-4
6. Manuela Pietzuch (BSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7)
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Manuela Pietzuch/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU), 8-6
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) def. Vo/Basil (BSU), 8-6
3. LaLone/Bobbi Oshiro (BSU) def. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY), 8-2