April 14, 2006
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team closed out the regular season with a 6-1 loss against the Utah Utes, on Friday morning, in Colorado Springs.
In doubles play, the Utes took two of three matches to win the point. The number one UW team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski earned an 8-5 victory over Liz Ferris and Allison Sine. At the number two spot, Wyoming's Corina Lazar and Amy Senko lost 8-1 to Emily Kwok and Leigh Walsh. Utah wrapped it up with the team of Cheyenne Reveche and Karine Bourdages defeating Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien, 8-4.
The Utes would win five of six singles matches. The lone Cowgirl to win a match was House, as she defeated Cinthia Saucedo in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Rowinski fell in two sets, 6-2, 6-3, to Kwok. Chien lost in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, against Ferris at the second spot, as did Lazar, 6-1, 6-1, in her match against Walsh. Reveche won 6-0, 7-5 over Jamie Nelson, while Utah wrapped things up as Bourdages defeated Senko in three sets, 6-2, 6-7 (7), 10-7.
"We have the next couple of weeks to work on some things before the conference tournament," said head coach Krissy Hall. "We will be able to take a few lessons from these two matches and see what we can do at the tournament."
Wyoming will next compete at the Mountain West Conference Championships, which will begin on Wednesday, March 26 in San Diego, Calif.
Utah 6, Wyoming 1
1. Emily Kwok (UTAH) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-2, 6-3
2. Liz Ferris (UTAH) def. Patricia Chien (WY), 6-2, 6-4
3. Andrea House (WY) def. Cinthia Saucedo (UTAH), 6-2, 6-1
4. Leigh Walsh (UTAH) def. Corina Lazar WY), 6-1, 6-1
5. Cheyenne Reveche (UTAH) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 7-5
6. Karine Bourdages (UTAH) def. Amy Senko (WY), 6-2, 6-7(7), 10-7
1. Rowinski/House (WY) def. Ferris/Sine (UTAH), 8-5
2. Kwok/Walsh (UTAH) def. Lazar/Senko (WY), 8-1
3. Reveche/Bourdages (UTAH) def. Chien/Michelle Brown (WY), 8-4