April 14, 2007
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The Cowgirls resumed MWC play on Saturday with a 7-0 loss against the New Mexico Lobos. Wyoming now moves to 6-13 overall and 2-5 in the league.
New Mexico started off well as they took all three matches in doubles play. The UNM team of Quintal and Sotirchos defeated Wyoming's Jamie Nelson and Sarah Summerfield, 8-7. In the midst of the tiebreaker, Summerfield, a Cowgirl freshman, suffered an injury that would force them to retire. UW's Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski lost to Sandra Zmak and Lucy Soctt, 8-5, while Cowgirls Michelle Brown and Corina Lazar lost to Olay Abou-Zekry and Jennifer Ryba, 8-3.
In singles play, the Lobos won all six singles matches. At the number one spot, Rowinski fell against Abou-Zekry, 6-2, 6-1. Zmak defeated Lazar, 6-2, 6-4, while Brown fell in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, to Mackenzie White. Nelson lost to Scott 6-0, 6-1, while House came up short, 6-4, 6-4 against Nora Quintal. At the number six position, Carolina Chaix was defeated by Ryba, 6-2, 6-2.
The Cowgirls will close out the weekend against the TCU Frogs in Albuquerque on Sunday.
New Mexico 7 Wyoming 0
1. Olay Abou-Zekry (UNM) def. Karolina Rowinski (Wyo) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sandra Zmak (UNM) def. Corina Lazar (Wyo) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mackenzie White (UNM) def. Michelle Brown (Wyo) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nora Quintal (UNM) def. Andrea House (Wyo) 6-0,6-1
5. Lucy Scott (UNM) def. Jamie Nelson (Wyo) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jennifer Ryba (UNM) def. Carolina Chaix (Wyo) 6-2, 6-2
1. Zmak/Scott (UNM) def. House/Rowinski (Wyo) 8-5
2. Abou-Zekry/Ryba (UNM) def. Brown/Lazar (Wyo) 8-3
3. Quintal/Sotirchos (UNM) def. Nelson/Summerfield (Wyo) 8-7 (ret.)