April 15, 2011
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Cowgirl Tennis team (11-7 overall, 1-4 in MWC) earned their first conference win with a 7-0 win against the New Mexico Lobos (7-13 overall, 0-6 in MWC) on Friday afternoon in Colorado Springs.
In doubles action, the Cowgirls swept all three matches to take the first point of the day. Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel defeated Anya Villanueva and Ashley Bonner, 8-2. The number three team of Veronica Popovici and Carly Van Hollen continued the strong play with an 8-2 win against Michaela Bezdickova and Kristin Eggelston, while Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs clinched the point with an 8-6 victory against Nikolina Grbac and Michaela Oldani.
Wyoming carried over their momentum by taking all six singles matches. Veronica Popovici defeated Michaela Bezdickova, 6-3, 6-0. She was followed by Alexandra Kovacs with a three set victory, 5-7, 6-3, 10-5, over Anya Villanueva. At the three position, Simona Synkova earned a straight set win, 6-1, 6-0, followed by Kim van Ginkel with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Kristin Eggleston. The Cowgirls wrapped things up with a Carly Van Hollen victory against Laura Richardson, 6-0, 6-1, and Sasa Nemcova defeating Ashley Bonner, 6-2, 6-2.
Wyoming will close out the weekend against the TCU Horned Frogs, on Saturday, April 16.
Wyoming 7, New Mexico 0
1. Synkova-van Ginkel (WY) def. Villanueva-Bonner (UNM) 8-2
2. Kovacs-Berger (WY) def. Grbac-Michaela Oldani (UNM) 8-6
3. Popovici-Van Hollen (WY) def Bezdickova-Eggleston (UNM) 8-2
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Michaela Bezdickova (UNM) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Anya Villanueva (UNM) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
3. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Nikolina Grbac (UNM) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. Kristin Eggleston (UNM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Carly Van Hollen (WY) def. Laura Richardson (UNM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Sasa Nemcova (WY) def. Ashley Bonner (UNM) 6-2, 6-2