LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (8-11 overall, 1-2 MW) suffered a heartbreaking loss 4-3 against the Boise State Broncos (10-9, 2-2 MW) on Friday night.
“Maggie was a warrior tonight and really battled. You win some and lose some, but she showed us how to be a winner and how tennis is played,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “You give yourselves chances to win and come out on the short end. Doubles was much better, but we need to have all six athletes getting after it. You can’t rely on one or two players and that’s why we’ve lost some of these close matches. I’m more disappointed that we didn’t have players in the bottom of the line-up step up.”
The two teams battled in doubles action with UW coming away with two wins to go up early in the match. The duo of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Naomi de Hart and Megan LaLone, 6-4, while the pair of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg won 7-6 (7-3) over Hanna Kantenwein and Milena Toseva.
The Cowgirls increased the lead to 3-0 with two wins in singles. Jonas defeated Teal Vosburgh, 6-2, 6-1, followed by Tokareva with a straight set win, 6-3, 6-3, against Bobbi Oshiro. Boise State responded by winning the next three straight. LaLone beat Koonik in three, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 followed by Nancy Menjivar over Talbert, 6-1, 6-1 and Ari Paules Aldrey with a 6-3, 6-3 win over van Der Ploeg.
The match would come down to the number one position between Magdalena Stencel and Hanna Kantenwein. Boise State won the first set 7-5 followed by Stencel with the 7-6 (7-3) win in the second set. UW would take a 3-0 lead in the third, but the Broncos won six of the next eight games to go ahead 6-5. Stencel rallied back to force a third set tiebreaker. Unfortunately, she wouldn’t have enough left in the tank as Kantenwein won the tiebreaker 7-3 to help give the Broncos the match.
Wyoming wraps up home play on Sunday against the Utah State Aggies. The match is set for 10 a.m. MT at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
Boise State 4, Wyoming Cowgirls 3
1. Kantenwein, Hanna (BSU-W) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY) 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-3)
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Oshiro, Bobbi (BSU-W) 6-3, 6-3
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Vosburgh, Teal (BSU-W) 6-2, 6-1
4. LaLone, Megan (BSU-W) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Paules Aldrey, Ari (BSU-W) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-3, 5-3
6. Menjivar, Nancy (BSU-W) def. Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nastya Tokareva/Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. de Hart, Naomi/LaLone, Megan (BSU-W) 6-4
2. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Kantenwein, Hanna/Toseva, Milena (BSU-W) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Miranda Talbert/Dorottya Jonas (WY) vs. Paules Aldrey, Ari/Oshiro, Bobbi (BSU-W) 6-6, unfinished