April 17, 2010
San Diego, Calif. (April 17, 2010) - The University of Wyoming Tennis team (12-7 overall, 3-3 MWC) closed out the weekend with a 6-1 loss against the 36th ranked UNLV Rebels (19-3 overall, 6-1 MWC) on Saturday morning in San Diego.
It was an uphill fight for the Cowgirls to begin the day as the Rebels swept all three matches to earn the doubles point. The 75th ranked team of Kristina Nedeltcheva and Jana Albers defeated Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel, 8-3. UNLV took the point as Nives Pavlovic and Adrienn Hidvegi earned an 8-5 win over Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen, while Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs also fell to Alisa Razina and Anna Maskaljun, 8-5.
In singles play, it continued to be all UNLV as they took five of the six singles matches. Maskaljun started things off with a straight set win, 6-1, 6-2, over van Ginkel, while Berger had a tough one as she retired down 4-3 in the first set against Hidvegi. The Rebels would clinch the match as the 114th ranked Albers defeated Kovacs, 6-2, 6-3. The next two matches had the 49th ranked Nedeltcheva win over Summerfield, 6-0, 6-4, while Synkova took Pavlovic to three sets but fell short 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-2). The only Cowgirl to win her match on the day was redshirt freshman Sasa Nemcova with a three set win, 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6) victory over Rumyana Terzieva.
The Cowgirl's will continue conference action will wrap up regular season MWC play next weekend on the road against Colorado State and Air Force.
1. No. 75 Kristina Nedeltcheva/Jana Albers (UNLV) def. Simona Synkova/Kim van Ginkel (UW), 8-3
2. Alisa Razina/Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Rebecca Berger/Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 8-5
3. Nives Pavlovic/Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) def. Sarah Summerfield/Carly Van Hollen (UW), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3*, 2
* - clinched doubles point
1. No. 49 Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Sarah Summerfield (UW), 6-0, 6-4
2. No. 114 Jana Albers (UNLV) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 6-2, 6-3
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Simona Synkova (UW), 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) def. Rebecca Berger (UW), 4-3, ret.
5. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Kim van Ginkel (UW), 6-1, 6-2
6. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Rumyana Terzieva (UNLV), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2*, 1, 3, 6* - clinched team match