LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (9-11 overall, 2-2 MW) responded with a 5-2 win over the Utah State Aggies (10-11, 2-2 MW) on Sunday morning.
“I love the way we started the match. We were disciplined in our decision making concerning doubles,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “Singles, we were a little up and down, not sure why. The top of our lineup we were resilient especially Magdalena who came back and found a way to win. Dorottya put on a clinic and its two straight matches that she’s played the best I’ve seen. Overall, it was a good day for us.”
The Cowgirls needed all three matches to earn the doubles point to start the day. The pair of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva beat Maggie O’Meara and Meghan Lyall, 6-2, followed by a 6-2 win from Lexi Turley and Nini Guensler against Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert. The number three team of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg defeated Ekaterina Tugarinova and Sabrina Dermerath, 6-3, to clinch the point.
UW extended the lead by winning at the number three and four spots. Jonas won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, followed by Koonik with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-1, victory against O’Meara. The Aggies picked up a point with a 6-4, 6-3 win by Tugarnova over Tokareva. At the number one spot, Stencel had a tough battle but picked up a 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) win over Guensler to give the Cowgirls the win. In the final two matches of the day, van Der Ploeg lost, 6-4, 6-2, against Monika Van De Vondel, while Sanne Hoekstra defeated Jenna Kane, 6-3, 7-5.
Wyoming wraps up the regular conference season on Saturday against the Colorado State Rams. The match is set for 1 p.m. MT in Ft. Collins.
Utah State vs Wyoming Cowgirls
Apr 17, 2016 at Laramie, Wyo.
(UW Indoor Tennis Courts)
Wyoming Cowgirls 5, Utah State 2
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Nini Guensler (USU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Ekaterina Tugarinova (USU) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-4, 6-3
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Sabrina Demerath (USU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Maggie O'Meara (USU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
5. Monika Van De Vondel (USU) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sanne Hoekstra (WY) def. Jenna Kane (USU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Meghan Lyall/Maggie O'Meara (USU) 6-2
2. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Ekaterina Tugarinova/Sabrina Demerath (USU) 6-3
3. Nini Guensler/Lexi Turley (USU) def. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)