LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team finished in a tie for first place atop the Mountain West Conference after a 4-0 victory over the Colorado State Rams on Saturday afternoon. The Cowgirls closed out the regular season with a 13-5 record overall and a 5-0 record in league play. It's the first time the programs' history that a team has gone undefeated in conference action and finished in first place.
"In my ten years of coaching I have not had more fun on any given day as today," head coach Dean Clower said. "Watching all four seniors competing at the same time and playing our style of tennis was great. Once again, we came out professional and ready to go. We played doubles the way we know how and really executed the game plan. The team has come a long way and aren't done yet. Thanks again to the best crowd in all the country."
Wyoming began the day solid on the doubles side with three strong matches. Magdalena Stencel and Jessica Parizher opened up with a 6-0 victory against Maddie Buxton and Madison Porter while seniors Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva earned a 6-2 win over Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova were up 4-2 against Mollie Cooper and Celine Voss but didn't finish the match.
All four seniors were in the line-up and led the Cowgirls to the victory. Parizher made easy work against Laia Hernandez Soler, 6-1, 6-1, followed by Zhelyazkova in her victory, 6-1, 6-1, against Buxton. Gecheva sealed the Cowgirl win in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 over Aina Hernandez Soler. Espinosa was tied in her match at a set a piece but didn't complete the match.
Wyoming will resume play this week at the 2015 Mountain West Championships which begin on Wednesday in Albuquerque. The Cowgirls will know what time and the opponent they will play after the bracket is released on Monday by the league office.
Wyoming (13-5, 5-0 MW) vs. Colorado State (7-12, 1-5 MW)
April 18, 2015 | Laramie, Wyo. (UW Indoor Tennis Courts)
Wyoming 4 Colorado State 0
1. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Natalie Heffron/Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 6-2
2. Jessica Parizher/Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Maddie Buxton/Madison Porter (CSU), 6-0
3. Dorottya Jonas/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) vs. Mollie Cooper/Celine Voss (CSU), 4-2 dnf
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) vs. Natalie Heffron (CSU), 1-0 dnf
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) vs. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), dnp
3. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Laia Hernandez Soler (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Aina Hernandez Soler (CSU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Maddie Buxton (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) vs. Celine Voss (CSU), 4-6, 6-3 dnf