April 19, 2014
FT. COLLINS, Colo. -
The Cowgirl tennis team wrapped up the regular conference season with a dominate 7-0 win over rival Colorado State, on Saturday afternoon in Ft. Collins. UW is now 10-7 overall and 4-1 in conference play.
"To defeat Colorado State in the fashion we did was a great way to close out the conference season," said head coach Dean Clower. "We are very proud of the players for their commitment to the process along with their toughness and resiliency they've shown all year long. From top to bottom, this team has stuck with it and the results started to show during MW play. The victory for Alma was huge as she has the heart of a champion along with the other players. They will get a well-deserved day off tomorrow and set our eyes on the conference tournament."
In doubles play, UW jumped out and won all three matches to take a 1-0 lead. Dorottya Jonas and Veronica Popovici defeated Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska, 8-6, followed by Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva with an 8-7 (8-6) win in the tiebreaker over Lauren Pick and Kaley Schultz. At the number three position, Alena Vasileva and Silviya Zhelyazkova earned an 8-5 win over Mollie Cooper and Maddie Buxton.
The Cowgirls continued their strong play in singles action as they swept all six matches. At the number three position, Zhelyazkova only lost one set, 6-0, 6-1, against Pick. Popovici won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, over Heffron followed by Jonas with a 6-4, 6-1 win against Wojakowska. Gecheva defeated Cooper, 6-1, 7-6 (4). UW closed out the match with two players going three sets against their opponents. Vasileva lost the first set, 7-6 (3), but came back to win 6-4, 1-0 (10-2) over Buxton. Espinosa also lost the first set 6-4. She rallied back 6-2, 7-6 (2).
Wyoming will be back in action next week to participate in the 2014 Mountain West Championships. The tournament begins on Wednesday, April 23. The Cowgirls match time and opponent will be determined early this week.
Wyoming 7 Colorado State 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Lauren Pick (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Mollie Cooper (CSU), 6-1, 7-6 (4)
5. Alena Vasileva (WY) def. Maddie Buxton (CSU), 6-7 (3), 6-4, 1-0 (10-2)
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Celine Voss (CSU), 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (2)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
1. Jonas/Popovici (WY) def. Heffron/Wojakowska (CSU), 8-6
2. Gecheva/Espinosa (WY) def. Pick/Schultz (CSU) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Vasileva/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Cooper/Buxton (CSU), 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1