April 22, 2009
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The eighth-seeded Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (8-15 overall) earned a tough 4-3 win over the ninth-seeded Air Force Academy Falcons (10-17 overall) in the opening round of the Mountain West Conference Championships, on Wednesday morning, in Albuquerque.
"We earned a 5-2 victory over Air Force during the regular season, but we knew this would be a tough match," said UW head coach Kati Gyulai. "Our objective was to play to win, instead of playing not to lose. We stayed together and came out with a win, which we are pleased with."
Wyoming won the first point of the day as they took two of three matches in doubles play. The team of Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen earned an 8-4 victory over Christine Abayan and Erlyn Rudico, while Rebecca Berger and Jamie Nelson wrapped it up for the Cowgirls with another 8-4 win over Allie Chermal and Christen Monreal. The Falcons number three team of Katrina Eromin and Shelley Johnson earned a win by default.
The Cowgirls really had a battle on their hands in singles play as they would earn victories at the two, three and five spots. Sophomore Carly Van Hollen quickly earned a two set win, 6-1, 6-3, over the Falcon's Allie Chermal, while Rebecca Berger had to overcome a first set loss, 6-2, to take the next two 6-0, 6-2 for her victory over Christine Abayan. It would come down to junior Carolina Chaix as she clinched the Wyoming victory, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, with a win over Katrina Eromin.
Unfortunately, UW senior Jamie Nelson came up short in her difficult three set match, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, to Sarah Cassman, while at the number one position Sarah Summerfield lost in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4 to Christen Monreal.
Wyoming will now take on the top seed UNLV Rebels, Thursday, beginning at 2 p.m.
(No. 8 seed) Wyoming 4, (No. 9 seed) Air Force 3
Jerry Cline Tennis Center
1. Christen Monreal (AFA) def. Sarah Summerfield (WY), 6-2, 6-4
2. Rebecca Berger (WY) def. Christine Abayan (AFA), 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Carly Van Hollen (WY) def. Allie Chermal (AFA), 6-1, 6-3
4. Sarah Cassman (AFA) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Carolina Chaix (WY) def. Katrina Eromin (AFA), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Shannon Young (AFA) won by default
1. Summerfield/Van Hollen (WY) def. Abayan/Erlyn Rudico (AFA), 8-4
2. Berger/Nelson (WY) def. Chermal/Monreal (AFA), 8-4
3. Eromin/Shelley Johnson (AFA) won by default