April 23, 2004
Laramie, Wyoming (April 23, 2004) -- The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team closed out regular season conference play with a 5-2 loss to the nationally ranked BYU Cougars, on Friday afternoon, in Laramie. The Cowgirls fall to 10-10 overall and 1-6 in the MWC while the Cougars improve to 18-5 overall and 5-1 in conference play.
BYU opened up the match strong in doubles play by sweeping all three matches. The number one team of Yuliani Santi and Amy Senko fell 8-0 to Sofia Holden and Barbora Zahnova as did Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski, 8-6, to Hadley Macfarlane and Lauren Jones. The Cougars closed out doubles play with Olga Boulytcheva and Lu Oswald earning an 8-6 win over Jennifer Hancock and Andrea House.
BYU also dominated in singles play by taking four of six matches. The only two Cowgirls to come away with a win were freshmen Karolina Rowinski and Andrea House. At the No. 4 position, Rowinski earned a hard fought 7-6, (5), 6-4 win over Olga Boulytcheva, while Andrea House won her match 6-0, 6-0 over Lu Oswald. Patricia Chien fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-4, against Barbora Zahnova as did Yuliani Santi, 6-4, 6-2, to Sofia Holden. The Cougars closed out the match with Lauren Jones earning a 6-2, 6-1 win over Jennifer Hancock and Hadley Macfarlane defeating Amy Senko, 6-3, 6-3.
"I really think the momentum carried over from last week's victory into this match with our performance today, especially against a top ranked team like BYU," said head coach Pam Wildt. "We really helped ourselves in the MWC standings after last week's win, we've had two good weeks of practice and their confidence has really shown. It was going to be a challenge to beat a good BYU team and we never counted ourselves out of it, but regardless of that we wanted to have some good overall performances. Overall, I was pleased with the result and thought some good things came out of the match."
The Cowgirls will wrap up their season next week at the MWC Championships, April 29-May 1, in San Diego, Calif.
BYU 5, Wyoming 2
1. Barbora Zahnova (BYU) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 6-4, 6-4
2 Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Yuliani Santi (UW), 6-4, 6-2
3. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW), 6-2, 6-1
4. Karolina Rowinski (UW) def. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU), 7-6 (5),6-4
5. Hadley Macfarlane (BYU) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-3, 6-3
6. Andrea House (UW) def. Lu Oswald (BYU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Sofia Holden/Barbora Zahnova (BYU) def. Yuliani Santi/Amy Senko (UW), 8-0
2. Hadley Macfarlane/Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Karolina Rowinski/Patricia Chien (UW), 8-6
3. Olga Boulytcheva/Lu Oswald (BYU) def. Jennifer Hancock/Andrea House (UW), 8-6