April 23, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas -
The eighth seeded Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (11-12 overall) earned a 4-1 victory in the opening round of the Mountain West Conference Championships over the ninth seeded Air Force Academy Falcons (6-21 overall), on Wednesday morning, in Ft. Worth.
"I was proud of the way we came into doubles and won the point," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "That really ended up being a key factor in determining the match. It's always exciting to get a conference win and I hope we can carry some of that momentum into tomorrow's match."
Wyoming won the first point of the day as they took two of three matches in doubles play. The UW team of Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen defeated Christen Monreal and Lauren Wilson, 8-6, while Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson wrapped it up for the Cowgirls with an exciting 9-7 win over Katrina Eromin and Sammy Sarkis. The Wyoming number one team of Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar fell to Christine Abayan and Erlyn Rudico, 8-2.
The Cowgirls really had a battle on their hands in singles play as they would earn victories at the one, four and five spots. Sophomore Sarah Summerfield quickly earned a two set win, 6-2, 6-2, over Eromin, while Lazar defeated Abayan, 6-3, 6-3, at the number one position. It came down to Brown, a senior, at the fifth spot as she clinched the victory for Wyoming with a very tough, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4, win over Monreal. Air Force did take one match on the day as Wilson defeated Berger, 6-2, 7-5.
Wyoming will now take on the top seed TCU Lady Frogs, tomorrow, beginning at 1 p.m. (MT).
(8) Wyoming 4, (9) Air Force 1
1. Corina Lazar (WY) def. Christine Abayan (AFA), 6-3, 6-3
2. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Rebecca Berger (WY), 6-2, 7-5
3. Carly Van Hollen (WY) vs. Sammy Sarkis (AFA), 7-5, 5-7, 2-0 (DNF) (Van Hollen was up in the match)
4. Sarah Summerfield (WY) def. Katrina Eromin (AFA), 6-2, 6-2
5. Michelle Brown (WY) def. Christen Monreal (AFA), 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
6. Brittany DeFelice (WY) vs. Sarah Cassman (AFA), 6-7, 6-3, 2-4 (DNF) (Cassman was up in the match)
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 5
1. Abayan/Erlyn Rudico (AFA) def. Berger/Lazar (WY), 8-2
2. Brown/Van Hollen (WY) def. Monreal/Wilson (AFA), 8-6
3. DeFelice / Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Eromin/Sarkis (AFA), 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2