April 24, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas -
The eighth seeded Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (11-13 overall) closed out their season in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Conference Championships with a 4-0 loss against the top seed TCU Lady Frogs (19-4), on Thursday afternoon, in Ft. Worth.
"Today was not the result we wanted, but it was one of our best matches against TCU," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "Overall, I was pleased with our season especially in winning 11 matches. We need to continue to build from this in order to make strides within our program."
TCU won the first team point of the day as they took two of the three matches needed in doubles play. Maria Babanova and Nina Munch-Soegaard defeated Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen, 8-3, at the number two position, while UW's Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson fell to Kewa Nichols and Idunn Hertzberg, 8-1. The TCU number one team of Andrea Morgado and Anna Sydorska were up 6-3 over Cowgirls Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar, but did not finish.
In singles play, the Frogs only needed three victories in order to win the match. At the number six spot, Babanova defeated DeFelice, 6-2, 6-4. Van Hollen also lost in two sets, 6-0, 6-2, against Katariina Tuohimaa, while Hertzberg closed it out with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Brown.
Wyoming finishes their season 11-13 overall and a 1-7 mark in the MWC play. The 11 wins ties for the most in school history, which was set during the 1996-97 season with a record of 11-15.
(1) TCU 4, (8) Wyoming 0
1. #61 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) vs. Corina Lazar (WY), 7-5, 3-5 DNF (Munch-Soegaard was up in the match)
2. Anna Sydorska (TCU) vs. Rebecca Berger (WY), 6-4, 4-1 DNF (Berger was up in the match)
3. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Carly Van Hollen (WY), 6-0, 6-2
4. Kewa Nichols (TCU) vs. Sarah Summerifeld (WY), 7-6 (4), 0-3 DNF (Summerfield was up in the match)
5. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) def. Michelle Brown (WY), 6-3, 6-3
6. Maria Babanova (TCU) def. Brittany DeFelice (WY), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 6, 5
1. Andrea Morgado/Sydorska (TCU) def. Berger/Lazar (WYO), 6-3 DNF (Morgado/Sydorska were up)
2. Babanova/Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. Brown/Van Hollen (WY) 8-3
3. Nichols/Hertzberg (TCU) def. DeFelice/Jamie Nelson (WYO) 8-1
Order of finish: 2, 3